Head tube issues

Leave the stem tightened and remove the top cap. Is the top of the steerer tube about 3mm below the top face of the stem?

Andy R":35oh4bcu said:
Leave the stem tightened and remove the top cap. Is the top of the steerer tube about 3mm below the top face of the stem?

This. An extra small spacer on top of the stem should be gravy.

On my P7 I've had two different sets of forks and two different headsets (threaded and threadless)

It could be all the above but that would imply errors being made in both setups, which is far from impossible (I'm sure we've all been there :D ). Is it not more likely to be something in common in both cases, i.e the headtube itself?

cce":131xwbx9 said:
Andy R":131xwbx9 said:

This. An extra small spacer on top of the stem should be gravy.

Will get another spacer just to be sure then..

Johnboy":z6hljhf9 said:
Has it always felt like that? The fact that it's done the same thing with two different setups may mean it's something to do with the headtube, perhaps it needs reaming/facing? I did have to do this on a bike of mine with similar issues.

Yes, fine when riding but when lifting the bike up from the stem there's a very slight 'rock' to it, almost as if the steerer has nudged from the 'rear' of the headtube when on the ground to the 'front' of the rear of the headtube. Same feeling with two very different set ups. No issues when riding that I've noticed though.

Difficult to describe accurately!

Johnboy":2m99j8pw said:
Has it always felt like that? The fact that it's done the same thing with two different setups may mean it's something to do with the headtube, perhaps it needs reaming/facing? I did have to do this on a bike of mine with similar issues.

I'm guessing this is the issue?

Andy R":n5ue6uts said:
Hardly much need for a trip to the LBS :?

Well, only for a second opinion and to prove I'm not imagining anything.

Will fit another small spacer, retighten everything too.

If the headtube is, in fact, ovalised (ID too large measured front to back)then reaming and facing won't do any good at all.
If you're not talking about more than say.004" of ovalisation then Loctite 641 will though.

Back