Rust spotted nickel plated P7

TrevorKershaw

Retro Guru
Hello All,

I have a 1995 nickel Orange P7 and it's developed spots of rust on after being stored. Does anyone know what I should use to remove the rust and get the bike back to looking shiny new?

I thought about using Dura-glit, but don't want to proceed and screw up the finish.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers Trevor :)

Hi

When I worked in a bike shop way back when we were always told to clean chrome with wire wool and oil as the oil stops scratching of the chrome ;)

Some people on here also use tin foil scrunched up :D

Hope this helps

Mark :D

these frames are lacquered over the nickel finish, so technically you can't polish it. if you want to get it perfect the only thing to do is rip the bike apart, paint stripper it, then re-polish it, then re-lacquer it, it's the only way to do it properly.

if you just try to polish it as it is now you will remove some of the lacquer which will give a patchy finish, also once the lacquer is gone it will then rust quicker from then on.

FYI, i have a 1995 P7 nickel, actually i have 2 :oops: the first one i got in reasonable condition, i polished the hell out of it then sent it to Argos in bristol to get the lacquer put on, it's been fine since.

jonnyboy666":39ae0fir said:
these frames are lacquered over the nickel finish, so technically you can't polish it. if you want to get it perfect the only thing to do is rip the bike apart, paint stripper it, then re-polish it, then re-lacquer it, it's the only way to do it properly.

if you just try to polish it as it is now you will remove some of the lacquer which will give a patchy finish, also once the lacquer is gone it will then rust quicker from then on.

FYI, i have a 1995 P7 nickel, actually i have 2 :oops: the first one i got in reasonable condition, i polished the hell out of it then sent it to Argos in bristol to get the lacquer put on, it's been fine since.

With respect to all the other posters, Jonnyboy's is the only one thats factually correct, and even then of little help unless you go for it big time.....like he did. But it could save you from fcuking up the lacquer with an aggressive clean in areas

Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think the way to go would be a complete stripping of the bike and a "strip, polish and re-lacquer". I currently have an E3 on my stand being polished and rebuilt, so the P7 will need to wait a bit. I don't think the problem will get worse as it's being stored in a dry environment, rather than the slightly damp one of the garage. I think the tube inners should be okay as I Waxoyled them when building the bike.

jonnyboy666, what did you polish it with? Are there any pictorial guides on this site, or on You Tube.

Anyone know where in Lancashire would re-lacquer it? I'm based in Blackburn, so I immediately think of Ribble Bikes in Preston, where I got my old Clockwork re-sprayed electric blue.

p.s here's my build thread for my P7,

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85640&start=15&hilit=m737

the spec has changed a bit, it's now full m737 xt and has the hotrod bars etc, the finish is still spot on, that thread is from 2 years ago.

i have just got another p7, i'm going another way on that one though, bit more modern and painted

I've just done a P7 with good results...

Paint strip to remove the lacquer

Wirewool and lots of soapy water will get to quite a finish on the their own

Then Autosol for higher shine (toothbrush it into the crevices to get rid of the rust (these will actually be areas where the nickel plate is punctured/damaged as technically Nickel doesn't rust, it's the steel underneath).

Finally, I didn't relacquer.... I just put about 10 applications of turtlewax on to prevent oxidisation....

Finally, Finally, new decals from stickermeister Gil_M on here... Will post pic later...

The problem is mainly with the bottom bracket join and rear cable hanger, less so in other areas, which are effectively around the weld areas.

How much Autosol would it take for the bike? should it be applied with fine wire wool? I have time on my hands and lots of patience! :LOL:

I think I will get it lacquered as that will add a firm layer of protection for things like stone chips, etc. I had one or two of those and after a thorough cleaning just dabbed a little ladies nail varnish on to seal it up.

I tried to add some photos of the bike but got the msg, "file too big". When I took smaller pics I got the msg, "The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1280 pixels wide and 0 pixels high. The submitted image is 1936 pixels wide and 1296 pixels high."

I guess the pics will have to wait. Anyone know what's wrong?

Back