91 DX/Ritchey Vantage wheels on 94/5 Orange C16R

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
Nice wheels, wrong era. Should I look for something more period correct or go with what I have??

jaypee":ppsa6fh6 said:
Nice wheels, wrong era. Should I look for something more period correct or go with what I have??

Hey ,a nice wheel is a nice wheel whatever the date :D
Cheers Paul.

yes I agree, those wheels need an earlier frame.

So you better get looking for a new/old frame for them ;) :LOL:

feetabix":2etpnq7z said:
Try them first.......if they don't float your boat then you are no worse off......

That's pretty much what I'm gonna do but I've been looking forward to getting this bike on the road and
I've been looking forward to getting these wheels on a suitable bike and I thought I had the right match in terms of them complimenting each other but it don't feel right. So I thought I'd see what you lot thought.

But you're right - it can always be undone and I might just like it.

It's odd how newer wheels/old frame feels different to old wheels/newer frame.....I've pondered that little conundrum in the past.....looking around me I have no bikes with wheels older than the frame, but four with wheels newer than frame and the rest with original wheels......hmmmm.......food for thought!

Wow, this thread takes navel gazing to a whole new level.

Three things I look at with wheels; weight, colour and freewheel (7 or 8, 9, 10 speed), if all of those are right for the bike, on they go!

The C16R is a cracking bike that will easily take a wide variety of parts and still look good and ride well. Slap them wheels on, if they suit your build, keep them, if not, look for something else.

NeilM":3qul7kqg said:
Wow, this thread takes navel gazing to a whole new level.

Three things I look at with wheels; weight, colour and freewheel (7 or 8, 9, 10 speed), if all of those are right for the bike, on they go!

The C16R is a cracking bike that will easily take a wide variety of parts and still look good and ride well. Slap them wheels on, if they suit your build, keep them, if not, look for something else.

I agree with Neil, Age aint nothing but a number, for example i'm 43 and my wife is 31, ok a little off topic but I've done a few builds now and to be honest convention and period correctness is ones thing but functionality is another, some awesome builds grace the pages of this forum, and yes a catalogue perfect bike painstakingly restored does always look nice and is testament to the owner who has strived to get it that way, but a bike that has been built around the rider, the budget, and style of riding also can be equally as impressive.

See past the age................

NeilM":jui22lhk said:
Wow, this thread takes navel gazing to a whole new level

Haha I know when I first joined I used to laugh at threads like this. And look at me now with an 'instinctive' niggling doubt about a really nice wheelset. Still I never thought I'd end up with 7+ bikes either and I'm not complaining about that! :)

Cheers all :cool:

Back