Advice on fitting a Jekyll trunnion fox on an sts

BobCatMax":33ip3hog said:
would love to see the process documented/pictured, if possible chap
If I don't go down the custom trunnion route I will do. Looks like the threaded, sticky outy bits on the standard RS trunnion are removable on the Jekyll version (and aren't internally threaded, so its not possible to bolt straight on). They are also wider in diameter so won't fit inside the travel chips. I can now understand why using a brake boss as a mod has been suggested as these could be trimmed down and screwed in to the fox trunnion, and would then accept a bolt to attach it to the travel chips/linkage.

Not sure yet if this will be as simple in practice as it sounds in theory, or if the travel chips will need drilling, but only time will tell.

Surely someone has done this already and knows the process and pitfalls?

Take shock and trunnion to engineering firm, have engineering firm measure shock, bore and tap trunnion to suit, get reducers made for the lower mount, bolt into bike. All there could possibly be to it.

Right, not had much time to do much, but I can say that the brake boss solution does look as though it may work.

The bosses are the same thread size as the Jekyll mounts, so screw in, though will need to be trimmed down quite a bit. The only ones I have are ones with the flat edges to allow the use of a screwdriver, so a set without these cut outs would be better, but that said, they do fit in the travel chips, so it could be a simple matter of trimming them down, then using brake/canti bolts (maybe even some nice m95x v-brake bolts) and I think it should all work.

SO, my main question is - can anyone see anything wrong with this approach - bolting brake bosses to the trunnion, then bolting this to the frame linkage via the travel chips.

It all seems a bit too simple, there must be a catch, surely?

Have a look at my STS, here : http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=15

sts69.jpg

I bought this Jekyll shock with trunion already modified to be plug and play on a STS.

Fox shock make the STS lighter and more reactive, it's a revolution !

But I am thinking about selling this system, to install a Risse set, that would look even better..

It was of course too good to be true, but not quite as straightforward, but possible.

To mod the Jekyll trunnion, I'd need to take a few mms off the part that sits against the linkage/travel chips.

The rest would work as I thought, though I'd need to either find a set of bosses without a 'collar' (the slightly wider part that butts against the frame, wider than the part that has the spanner cut-outs), or have the set I have modified to have this bit removed/filed off. They would also need to be cut shorter and in an ideal world, they would also be a fraction smaller in diameter, but its workable as they are.

Then voila, it should fit.

Just need to decide if that is the way forward, or should I go down the custom trunnion route?

The RS one could be drilled and tapped, but there is a lot more thread on the Jekyll one, and I assume for a reason?

If I went the custom trunnion route, does anyone have any suggestions as to who might be able to make one? Preferably in or around the Epsom/Surrey area so I can pay then a visit?

Mofofo":1d8dhrhn said:
Have a look at my STS, here : http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=15

sts69.jpg

I bought this Jekyll shock with trunion already modified to be plug and play on a STS.

Fox shock make the STS lighter and more reactive, it's a revolution !

But I am thinking about selling this system, to install a Risse set, that would look even better..
I've always liked your sts build, kind of rekindles my desire to own one.

Have you had the shock off to see how it was modified? I'd be interested to know/see how far wrong or right I am in my thoughts on what I think can be done with the existing trunnion.

A risse shock would look great for sure, but very pricy. I got my shock for a good price thanks to a member on here, and it is a modern one with pro pedal so think it would outperform a risse, plus it matches the forks I have fitted (wish they were black too but hey).

I should probably also mention that the mounting hardware for the non-trunnion end also needs modifying. The bushings in the fox shock don't have a large enough hole to allow the standard sts bolt through it, so they would need to be drilled out, or replaced with something akin to the standard RS hardware (a sleeve that has spacers that slot on top).

Hmm, not as straightforward as I was hoping, so if anyone has any recommendations for anyone that could do the work, I'm all ears.

Still happy enough with the RS shock, but looking forward to being able to upgrade it.

Ok, so in that case take the Jekyll trunnion, GT Trunnion, chips and rocker to an engineering firm and ask them to make them go together.

Will certainly need reducers made for the lower eyelet, particularly as the Rockshox hardware is probably for a 10mm eyelet vs the 1/2" bush the Fox shock will probably have. Mojo, TFTuned, Burgtec and heaps of others will make custom reducers to your dimensions for a reasonable price.

Back