Retro model trains, anyone?

Interesting - do you still have the boxes for the locos?

Especially the LMS 0-6-2 tank? The pre-British Railways ones are sought after by collectors.

The boxed tinplate wagons are good as well.

Bowie":1gbhpme8 said:
Hi, sadly that's the only one I don't have the box for, got plenty more boxed rolling stock tho, Steve :cool:

Nice assortment there. I've got the 8F goods loco in 2-rail format (the original version which doesn't have a huge motor filling the cab space!), whilst the Castle (don't own one of those myself as I don't model Western Region) is a lovely model. If I could find a good excuse to run one I'd probably have acquired one by now.

David

David B":aq220j3w said:
Bowie":aq220j3w said:
Hi, sadly that's the only one I don't have the box for, got plenty more boxed rolling stock tho, Steve :cool:

Nice assortment there. I've got the 8F goods loco in 2-rail format (the original version which doesn't have a huge motor filling the cab space!), whilst the Castle (don't own one of those myself as I don't model Western Region) is a lovely model. If I could find a good excuse to run one I'd probably have acquired one by now.

David

The 'Castle' was always my favourite - even though I was Tri-ang owner! I remember an article in a 'Railway Modeller' just after Hornby introduced it showing how to 'super detail' it. It looked great (for those days anyway). I did get to own one once but for some reason sold it on! Twerp! :facepalm:

Somewhere I SHOULD have an 8F, all stripped down ready for a rebuild. Not sure where it is now though.............. :?

I still reckon those Hornby diecast bodies are very good dimensionally.

Old Ned":30j67gzk said:
I still reckon those Hornby diecast bodies are very good dimensionally.

The HD bodyshells - plastic and metal - certainly looked the part, although very, very occasionally things like under-sized wheels (A4, Duchess Pacifics) or the wrong bogies (AL1 electric loco*) let them down.
Whilst its Ringfield motor could pull the side off a house, the Deltic was a bit of a joker in the pack in that regard as it was way too short and lacked the bodyside profile of the real thing. Shame as the chassis was first rate (for years I've been racking my brains wondering if the HD Deltic chassis unit could be used in a Triang EE Type 3 - Class 37 if you prefer - which used the completely wrong Brush Type 2 (Class 31) running gear with an inferior motor :? ).

David

*To be fair, the AL1 was done "on the cheap" as HD was in severe financial trouble by the time the model came out.

We have box's of 50's trains and cars mostly boxed in our loft.

They were the father in laws, and they are in fantastic condition. Not sure what Fiona has planned for them in the future. Her dad is still going, so they won't be sold at the moment. There must be quite a lot of money's worth, but never looked to see if there are any really rare/ sort after ones.

al.

Although they had limited geographical appeal (in the UK only ever going back & forth between Manchester Piccadilly and Sheffield Victoria - when they got exported to the Netherlands, NS seemed to get better value for money out of them than BR ever did) I've always been impressed by this Tri-ang offering ever since I saw a secondhand one in the window of Grainger's in Walsall as a kid:

912BMCOUPLERR351EM2Electra27000MBendPantosUp1_zps940fa122.jpg

Currently selling for tidy sums on eBay, mind you. Anyone already owning one in decent nick could be sitting on a fortune.

David

Hi, since the passing of my uncle a few weeks ago I've taken over care of this steam engine [built by my grandfather in the late 50s/early 60s] I believe it to be a Bassett Lowke model. Any enthusiasts out there, if we have any, recommend any websites for info etc, thanks

blink in flip that's a big bugger - surprise that plank of wook can support it.

have you fired it up?

There should be a few Bassett-Lowke collectors' sites out there on t'internet. I'm not very knowledgeable about large-scale models (00 and smaller is my area) so I can't be much help here. The loco itself looks broadly North Eastern or North British in design.

David

Back