MacRetro chat and rides thread

There is way too much choice these days, it makes the head hurt.
The sheer variety of suspension systems is bewildering.
Whatever you plump for I'll probably be jealous as I have a zero cash economy most of the time.
I may be grumpy velo but I do love modern high tech exotica !

Totally agree, that is why I have had such a hard time deciding, riding the Marin has made me think that I like full suss more and more and a good one can only be better. Although I wasn't a big fan of the Giant I hired stateside it did ride very well and I was much less knackered on the climbs that I should have been. I'm still being driven by budget as I would probably get a lynskey full sus 29er if I wasn't, but we do need to keep the dreams there.

TK I'm sure downhilldave had a Spider, he sold it to get the Ibis which he rated as the best bike he's had, maybe Velo could ask him about it. The Santa Cruz's won't work for what you want, they have comparatively short top tubes, when you get the length you want you've heehaw crotch clearance. Have you had a look at Turners? Still getting a good solid following and have the pedigree you seem to be after. Another thing to consider is that these days a 150mm frame doesn't really carry a weight penalty like it used too and they ride pretty good too, there's definitely more to choose from as well. Ideal for buzzing about trail centres and the like but can take on the bigger days like Torridon and wotnot.

Nice dale , you get a lot more for yer buck since they started making them in Mongolia or wherever

I do like turners but they are even more pricey, cannondale doesn't do it for me, I am heavily drawn by looks which I know sounds daft on my budget but I need to look at it too, and I really really don't like lefty forks ( technically it isn't even a fork ).

2nd hand is an option but it would need to be owned by a nun for me to trust it. The spider 2 can take up to 140 forks, obviously a slacker front end but I don't mind that too much. I do still like he look of cubes and they are pretty good value still, but I have an urge to buy something a little less mainstream.

Sorry - I can no longer read that marketing sh!te and keep me dinner down at the same time. Think ahm gonna become Forrest Gump :idea:

Back