Freewheel Query and now Axle Query!!! with pics

Bugloss,

Thanks for the info, as a matter of interest, do you think mine was built wrong prior to me getting it?

It has 126mm axle and probably in a 126 frame the skewers would pull the frame tight - as usual, my mistake with measurements!!!!

Richard

Well they look weird with the thick spacer on the non drive side and the skinny lock nuts.

I don't have any NT hubs here so I'm comparing them to Record hubs. I've got 5 sets of wheels here and they all look like the ones in my photos, in that they have thick lock nuts.

You can check how much axel is sticking out from the lock nut (should be about 5-5.5mm)

I thought yours might be spaced for 126 and they did look odd, that's why I asked if you had to pull the rear apart to get the hub in the dropouts. You don't need to do that if the hub/axel is set up correctly for the frame.

All my wheels apart from the pursuit are for 126 spacing and none look like yours. So I think yours have been messed with somewhere along the line. But it's easily corrected, so no sweating is required. ;)

Just one thing can you measure the whole length of the axel ?

Thanks for the explanation - i appreciate it.

There is 2 - 3 mm left at each end of the axle but the axle measures 126mm exactly. I really don't want to mess with the wheels unless i really have to and perhaps i am asking the questions until i get an answer saying 'leave them and use them'!

They fit the frame easily without have to force the stays hardly at all. It was just the safety of the lack of axle in the dropout i was concerned about as i am ugly enough without a bike accident to make me worse!!

Thanks very much,

Richard

You answered my question before I asked it. :D

That's short, are you sure it's not 130mm?

I can't tell you if it's safe or not but there is a design length for a reason and I think you answered your question yourself.

Thanks,

It is defo 126!!! Measured it a few times to make sure i was right.

More headaches!!! But thanks for the help.

Richard

Back