And today I did......

had a great run glen tress, snapped my chain on the last few metres of the redemption climb.. had a ohh f'k moment whilst lying on the ground remembering that the spare link was still in the car and not in my pocket.

managed to get remove another link and knit it back together with pocket chain tool..

it was my understanding that you shouldn't do this with 10 speed chains?? is my chain compromised/weak as a result? I can see a very small washer on the push part of chain tool

I would bin it. It snapped once and I would think its weaker as a result.
Theres some good deals on chains at the moment

RobMac":fbbwanjs said:
Hawmaw":fbbwanjs said:
Theres some good deals on chains at the moment

Could you givus a link? :shock:

Sorry! :oops:

Boom boom :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Going to get some proper pins and use a few links of a shimano 10spd road chain that I've got kicking about doing nothing.. stupidly I never marked the doggy link so can't be sure I'm removing the potential weak point :roll:

Shimano HG54 chain from Absolute Cycles on ebay for £16.49

I'd rather have that than mess about with the old one.

personally after the only shimano chain I've bought for my mtb in years failed twice with the same issue of links separating I would stick to sram or knc, or buy higher up the food chain - it was a deore level

SRAM for me, gave up on shimano chains years ago. As TK said, a more slightly more expensive chain is worth it. It's only the equivalent of a couple of pints over the life of the chain. Bear in mind though, SRAM 10spd powerlinks can't be re-used. Kmc re-usable links work no problem though, makes cleaning a lot easier.

Another for SRAM chains when I've got plenty spare cash or TAYA when I've not. Never had a problem with either and both use reuseable power links.

As for 10 speed, I'm still getting used to 9 speed and reckon thats enough for me. :roll:

velomaniac":2uyxygux said:
Another for SRAM chains when I've got plenty spare cash or TAYA when I've not. Never had a problem with either and both use reuseable power links.

As for 10 speed, I'm still getting used to 9 speed and reckon thats enough for me. :roll:

Major benefit of 10 speed IMO is the new rear mech design helping chain retention in rough terrain.

Back