Retro model trains, anyone?

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Now that we have an "Other Projects" area, I'll get the ball rolling with my 00-gauge LNER (but BR-liveried) B1 class loco:

3507043236_0144243a8f_z_d.jpg

Jamieson kit-built sheet metal body which is goodness knows how many years old, "de-motored" Replica/Bachmann chassis (probably the most modern bit of the whole project), Hornby "Footballer" powered tender. A bit of an odd mix but I like the end result and it'll pull the side off a house!
The other LNER project that turned out well was a Hornby-based mongrel featuring bits of Thompson brake coach on a 6-wheel chassis (ex-Palethorpes sausage van) to make a BZ type parcels van. Photos of that one coming soon....

David

i had old hornby when i was living in plymouth as a lad, feckin loved it so so much, could only dream of the nicer, smaller stuff. spent ages in a model shop in the city centre drooling over this stuff, and the bikes in bike :)

A deltic diesel electric loco

Attachments

• 2013-03-15-13-45-58--1835784077.jpeg
    2013-03-15-13-45-58--1835784077.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 5,937
David B":gvbs4i8p said:
Now that we have an "Other Projects" area, I'll get the ball rolling with my 00-gauge LNER (but BR-liveried) B1 class loco:

Jamieson kit-built sheet metal body which is goodness knows how many years old, "de-motored" Replica/Bachmann chassis (probably the most modern bit of the whole project), Hornby "Footballer" powered tender. A bit of an odd mix but I like the end result and it'll pull the side off a house!
The other LNER project that turned out well was a Hornby-based mongrel featuring bits of Thompson brake coach on a 6-wheel chassis (ex-Palethorpes sausage van) to make a BZ type parcels van. Photos of that one coming soon....

David

Nice David - but does anyone else in Southampton know what a B1 is? :roll:

If not - and for anyone here who doesn't - this will help -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Thompson_Class_B1

Chute55uk":1uha7n2d said:
A deltic diesel electric loco

As diesel locos go, the Deltics were definitely a stand-out machine, attracting the sort of following and cult status one normally associated with steam. Plus, they feature in the opening credits of Get Carter, which can only be a good thing. :)

David

To follow on from David's locomotive offering, here is one of mine. I tend to go for smaller ones, mostly Industrial use types such as this Fowler (of Leeds) small diesel loco. Basically an etched brass kit but with quite a bit of me in it as well, especially the 'workings' (chassis, gearbox etc.). Photographed on my 'Enigma Engineering' (company motto - 'What we make is a mystery') layout.

Attachments

• HudswellPainted.1. A.jpg
    HudswellPainted.1. A.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 5,925
  • HudswellChassis.1.A.jpg
    HudswellChassis.1.A.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 5,925
Old Ned":1wh22gdd said:
David B":1wh22gdd said:

David

Nice David - but does anyone else in Southampton know what a B1 is? :roll:

Depends how old they are - B1s did pop up on the Southern now & again, and a few were even borrowed in the early 50s to cover for Bulleid Pacifics that had to be pulled from service due to crank axle defects.

Speaking of Pacifics, the one loco I miss owning is my A2 (an old Trix bodyshell with added detail plus Tri-ang A3 chassis - with 9F cylinder block & A4 valve gear - and Hornby non-corridor tender). I had great fun building it but it was way too big for my layout.

My B1 had to be numbered as 61149 as no others in the class had the D49/B17-ish tender (contrary to what the FJ Roche drawings might suggest - even the Jamieson kit got that wrong).

David

Been rooting around in the loft and found part of my old train set, don't think its seen the light of day since the early eighties :shock: enjoy :cool:

Back