Univega AKA Moo Moo, Breaking news pg 6

Re: Univega 5 point something or other

Love the udder bottom bracket.

Was it blue and black like my 5.4?

9521877667_24fcc569b1_c.jpg

I've also got a 505

9524658494_e2d887c3ff_c.jpg

and a 5.3 frame somewhere waiting for a set of wheels.

I'll get round to tidying up those cables one day,left em long because I've been swapping parts around.

Cant say Im a fan of the riser bars on the 505, and the 5.4 but since the Alpina line has a long toptube and long stem I can understand why you would want to be a little more upright on the bike. How do they ride? I find the geometry to be amazingly responsive and they climb like crazy!

andyfloyd82":3o4nbt1i said:
Cant say Im a fan of the riser bars on the 505, and the 5.4 but since the Alpina line has a long toptube and long stem I can understand why you would want to be a little more upright on the bike. How do they ride? I find the geometry to be amazingly responsive and they climb like crazy!

I've traded a bit of control for comfort with those backswept bars and the gopping bar ends don't do much for the aesthetics but are a essential for comfort after breaking my hand a couple of weeks ago.

I agree about the ride. The 505 (18")being the smaller and very light climbs really well but is a bit skittish down hill on tarmac.The 5.4(20")is super stable everywhere,amazing the difference a few degrees change in geometry and cms tube length makes.

The front cantilever brakes had to go they were dire.

Phew! What a few days its been , flat out with work and no time to play , but the good news is its give me a little time to think about which direction I'm going to take the 'cow'.

I was thinking that maybe the Xtr groupset would be nice, very nice but after seeing the prices of decent unmolested components , I think the Xt 7 series is the way forward , any advice on which Xt components work and don't work would be welcome, as I'm thinking maybe a slimmer crank than the forged shimano ones ? Any ideas guys ?

andyfloyd82 , I remember now, before I repainted the frame , the original decal said 9/6/9 tubing, it rides really nice and it's very responsive, I've done an awful lot of miles on mine :)

gregor :) the udder bottom bracket needs some work when I get five, indeed the bike was the same colour as your 5.4 , although mine did not have a suspension fork,regarding the ride position , I like the idea and can see why people fit riser handlebars , but really dont like the aesthetic's of them, mine will be perfect once I find a shorter slightly higher rise stem :)

You will be amazed just what a difference changing the stem makes, mine feels so much more agile now and is fantastic on singletrack whereas before it felt a bit clumsy and hard work to turn in.
I'll take a pic of mine soon with the new stem and low rise riser bars which don't look out of place in my opinion.

Mr Universe":2ylu3it0 said:
Phew! What a few days its been , flat out with work and no time to play , but the good news is its give me a little time to think about which direction I'm going to take the 'cow'.

I was thinking that maybe the Xtr groupset would be nice, very nice but after seeing the prices of decent unmolested components , I think the Xt 7 series is the way forward , any advice on which Xt components work and don't work would be welcome, as I'm thinking maybe a slimmer crank than the forged shimano ones ? Any ideas guys ?

andyfloyd82 , I remember now, before I repainted the frame , the original decal said 9/6/9 tubing, it rides really nice and it's very responsive, I've done an awful lot of miles on mine :)

gregor :) the udder bottom bracket needs some work when I get five, indeed the bike was the same colour as your 5.4 , although mine did not have a suspension fork,regarding the ride position , I like the idea and can see why people fit riser handlebars , but really dont like the aesthetic's of them, mine will be perfect once I find a shorter slightly higher rise stem :)

I run the M737 XT group on mine and it works perfectly. I think the m737 group is the best bang for the buck because it has all the functionality of the XTR M900 Group with maybe 1/3 of the cost!

Moo moo was feeling left out after nigel had arrived, he'd stole the limelight, and she thought I'd forgot all about her :(

Well .. I had sort of , but after nigel came along I knew I would have surplus parts available to put to good use for Moo Moo :) and I'm really keen to get this back on the road or should that be off road :)

I'll start with a touch of that expensive Xtr M900 sh!t :cool:

Part donated originally from nigel

A little cleaning later

Add some new chainrings and chainring bolts :)

Now she's feeling a little happier.

And after a quick gumtree venture today, I think she's getting new wheels too :)

Oh and thanks to chris for this interesting sram 9.0 sl mech in white , think it will look fab , bought it cheap so was not expecting anything top notch, and knew I'd be able to save this.

Time to start on this then, the jockey wheels have seen better days, and knew they would need replaced, cosmetically its a little battered so I'll have to refinish all the parts, no biggy , lets begin.

Time to remove this screw that holds the knuckle onto the mech cage.

All the parts have now been taken apart ready for me to start preparing for refinishing :)

Re: Univega AKA Moo Moo, Rebuilding begins page 2

Hi Mr U ,
Have you got that rear mech back together yet ? :LOL:

Re: Univega AKA Moo Moo, Rebuilding begins page 2

Hi Mike :)

Actually some progress has been made.

Time to cook, with some additional items :)

Back