Rossin Pursuit Build

images

Stunning frame would love to own one. Top quality Italian frames where always painted as it will give a better finish and show off the lug work etc. I’ve had a full restoration done by Ellis Briggs, and they do a fantastic job, with such attention to detail. You can get Nick at H Lloyd to make up the decals for you to match exactly.

TGR":31noe5gy said:
Matt,

Nice work. Take advice from your frame builder about the filler (am i stating the obvious?).

Did you consider sandblasting? Quick, easy and inexpensive and i don't think it too severe on the steel.

Richard

Hi Richard,
I haven't thought of sandblasting, I think I want to work the steel by hand. Sandblasting is too easy haha.

Thanks ColnagoC59 for the decal reccomendation, i may give him a ring.

Today I learned, with the help of my Russian friend, that the frame belonged to - Кузнецов - which can be seen on the frame, written in permanent marker. The name in Russian is that of Alexander Kuznetsov from Leningrad, Russia. The seller has also confirmed that this is him.

Kuznetsov has been a coach since 1964. In the USSR national team since 1985. Coach of the USSR on the track at the Olympics in 1980 and 1988, head coach of the United team at the Olympics in 1992, the coach of Russian national team at the Olympics in 1996, 2000, 2004. He has coached many world and Olympic champions in track cycling including Vyacheslav Ekimov.

Some very interesting history!

9547670827_17f08715b2_z.jpg

1332755237_5133.jpg

Alexander Kuznetsov
4950454363_f1692a7c60_z.jpg

Vyacheslav Ekimov 1986, Colorado Springs on Rossin Pursut.

A word of warning...

Do not be tempted to put new filler on top of old filler, the old filler will draw the moisture out of the new filler too quick and cracks will appear at some point in the future. If you are applying new filler then remove all the old dried filler first to prevent this happening. Might be worth having a word with a local car body repair shop to find the best way forward

MAtt,

The story gets better - history with the frame!! Take plenty of pics - you might be able to get the name on a decal.

Re the paint etc really you should speak to a framebuilder or restorer - eg Mercian to see what the best way forward is. Be warned that when you strip the paint the frame will be really prone to surface rust. I was warned about this when i had mine sandblasted. The sandblaster put his coat over the frames to get them to the car and said to keep them beside a radiator until the undercoat was applied. I was also told to keep them in a plastic bag to stop air getting at them.

Tread carefully Mr Bond!!!

great bike, great story and an impending super build!!!

Richard

ColnagoC59":37vvuhug said:
I'd stop and get a frame builder to sort it its too much of a rare frame to get wrong

I can assure you I'm not planning on getting it wrong. I have a long list of professionals who will be helping me along the way. I'm am just examining and preparing the steel at the moment.

Today i have been in touch with an engineer who is looking at creating the handlebar clamps. A lot of frame builders have said they can't make those bits.

Cheers

Back