Modern chainset on a 97 Zaskar

Get the BB faced, it will make the bearings last longer. Mine needed to be faced, it wasn't parallel.

07b9.jpg

ysxd.jpg

I toyed with following the instructions, but in the end the better chainline won out, bearing in mind it's a work bike and spends most of the time in the big ring.

SpaceFlightOrange":2w6j4n9k said:
Just found this document from Shimano.

It mentions about facing the BB shell. Has anyone ever had to do this?

Not facing the shell has been blamed many a time for early failiure of an external botom bracket ...

WD :D

SpaceFlightOrange":330md66v said:
Brilliant!

Thanks for the help.

Still undecided on this as i'll still be running V-brakes, no planes to move to discs.

Just weighing up the options.

I run modern BB's and groupsets on nearly all my bikes, most of which are 90's, steel and hand made, I think it would suit the Zaskar well.

My preference is for SRAM / Truvativ, but that's mostly because I like gripshift, especially the new 2 x 10 X0 shifters, which are excellent.

As for V brakes, I've had them on my 94 Zaskar LE since 96. :mrgreen:

Don't sit on the fence, get on and modernise it. :twisted:

6 months as a busy mechanic has left me wary of external BB regardless of faced shell or not. The damn things just seem to wear out too quick.

1996 found my 1993 zaskar with Hope hydraulic disc brakes so I was way rad skills... Ner

gtRTSdh":2sfibqh0 said:
Get the BB faced, it will make the bearings last longer. Mine needed to be faced, it wasn't parallel.

Thanks for the pics. Same frame as mine.

Out of interest, looks like your running an original xt 8 speed mech. How's that work? Presumably the chainset is a 9/10 speed? What cassette do you have on it?

You can run most rear mechs in an 8/9 or 5/6/7 spd system. Chainsets don't matter either. Only front mechs can be git as different shifters/ mechs have different cable pull/ swing/ reach

SpaceFlightOrange":1c42t2lh said:
gtRTSdh":1c42t2lh said:

Thanks for the pics. Same frame as mine.

Out of interest, looks like your running an original xt 8 speed mech. How's that work? Presumably the chainset is a 9/10 speed? What cassette do you have on it?

3x8 - M739ish XT 8sp shifters, similar groupset front and rear mechs, 8sp chain.

I'm running a modern raceface x-type bb and crankset on my 95 zaskar with no problem. I had an octolink LX Hollowtec crank that was a pain which is too bad because it spun so nice compared to the race face.

Back