Rims with rider weight limits- HELP!

Yellow_Peril

Old School Hero
Hi
I've posted the same question to the BMX lot too, but as I'm usually loitering on the road bike area and having been surprised by the depth of knowledge on here I thought I'd ask you lot too! I am building the bits for my Dawes Kingpin have a question to do with some Alienation Ankle biter, 20x 1 1/8" 451 rims I've bought for it.

I'm building this folding bike for commuting and light road touring. The Alienation rims apparently have a max rider weight of about 50kgs, as it is designed for youth BMX racing. I am presuming that this race style puts tremendous strain on the rim on ramps and jumps. As I am just road biking I am hoping that this weight limit is less relevant to the heavier commuter like me.

Anyone got any experience of these wheels in use by heavier users? It's a 36 hole and I'll be doing a 2x spoke pattern with a Sturmey Archer AW so not too dished.

Cheers guys
Jon

100kilos mate. The rim is 36h. Looking at its construction it looks beefier than the mavic A319 I usually use, and very well structured (no eyelets but holes are drilled at the angle the nipple sits at etc)

Cheers Nob :)
Jon

Anyone got any thing to go on? Reason I'm asking is I need tobuild these rims up or fire them back to Chainreaction with a shiity letter about not declaring weight limits on their items :)

I can't see any reason why they should not carry the weight. Masses of spokes, hub flange to rim angle is stronger than larger wheels. Of course tangent spoking is stronger, so cross the maximum you can, usually 3, if the angle will take it. Small wheels will take more lateral thrust than large, and will be more rigid.

Thanks Keith! I'm minded to agree with you, and am very grateful for your feedback. Not sure if 3x will work with the sturmey as the hub has large flanges. Will have a look.

Thanks again mate,
Jon

I would think that the weight limits would be due to all the jump action on a BMX. I am sure that your Dawes Kingpin rides would be more sedate. So I'd build them up. Small rims are generally strong and I bet they use a heavier section than a road 700c rim anyway.

I can't see how they can be weaker. If they take 36 normal size spokes, the hubs are conventional size (i.e. don't roll on smaller than normal axles) and if the rims are conventional construction, then there's no reason why you won't be able to ride them.

Brilliant, cheers Jonny! I have ordered Sapim butted spokes and the front hub is a new Deore 36h, the back is a new Sturmey Archer internal hub 36h.

I think the weight limit must be due to these things being built on to Aluminium axled kids racing hubs so I am no longer concerned for my safety :). They look and feel well-built so only time will tell!

Latest posts

Back