Spoke Threading Machine

ere-tis

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Gents, my father-in-law does a lot of motorcycle restorations as a hobby and was passed on this spoke threading machine by a friend and he's asked me to see if I can find out anything about it.

All I know is, it's for bicycle spokes, it's old, it's marked BBL and it appears to work well, can anyone shed any light on it ?

Cyclo made some like this. As you can see it has rollers , for producing rolled thread normally 14 or 15G, about 2 or 1.8mm. After cutting to length make sure no burrs on the spoke, we used to just rub the ends on the grinder to slightly sharpen them. Oil the rollers, stainless spokes were a bit hard on the rollers.

keithglos":29rf0h0d said:
Cyclo made some like this. As you can see it has rollers , for producing rolled thread normally 14 or 15G, about 2 or 1.8mm. After cutting to length make sure no burrs on the spoke, we used to just rub the ends on the grinder to slightly sharpen them. Oil the rollers, stainless spokes were a bit hard on the rollers.
They still do. 70 quid on ebay and spare heads available. Do they do a good job or are factory threads better? I'm so rubbish at spoke calculation one of these could save me money!

Seriously tedious to do. I had a larger geared up machine and a special spoke cutter.
Probably OK for rolling a longer thread on an existing spoke.
In the days when I was buying 144 stainless butted spokes for £1, I think the machine was about £1.50

use a spoke calculator spreadsheet where you type in hub & rim make and no. of crossings and Robert is your mum's brother. No need to do any calcs yourself.

That looks awesome, but it looks like the Cyclo one we had at my last shop. I still shudder at the mere thought of having to use it again, it was like a punishment!
I'd happily stick yours on my shelf though.

Back