Freewheel Query and now Axle Query!!! with pics

Re: Freewheel Query

Morning all, i hope you all had a good weekend,

I looked at my Nuovo Tipo hubs and there are no visible markings to indicate what the threads are. I have tried the lockring on it and it won't thread on - possibly due to the previous damage and i am sure it is not ISO anyway.

I came across an Ofmega BB in one of my boxes - it is marked 34.8 x24F - any ideas of the threading on this?

Also, which is more annoying, i test fitted the wheels in a frame and am very confused by the results. The frame is 120mm and the axle on the hub just about fits but in my opinion the axle does fit far enough into the dropout. This is hard to explain and i am getting pics now - hopefully they will explain more.

Richard

Re: Freewheel Query

As per above - pics

My neighbours wonder why i was lying on the garage floor yesterday!!!

Opinions as to what are my options would be appreciated. You can see from the pics there are a couple of washers on the axle - could these be removed to add space?

Thanks all,

Richard

Thanks,

I cannot get my head around this - as one of the previous posts says

Type - Inch - Metric
Italian - 1.378" x 24 tpi - 35 x 1.058 mm
ISO - 1.375" x 24 tpi - 34.92 x 1.058 mm
British - 1.370" x 24 tpi -34.80 x 1.058 mm
French - 1.366" x 25.4 tpi - 34.7 x 1 mm
Metric BMX - 1.181" x 25.4 tpi - 30 x 1 mm

why is it not British? and the F at the end also helped to confuse me too.

Richard

As long as there is enough axle sticking out for it to contact the adjustment screw then that's fine with me :D The non drive side would likely please most people, the drive side might make some riders a little twitchy :)

You could take out a narrow washer on the drive side if you wished.............

Shaun

TGR":3fjg7wyj said:
Thanks,

I cannot get my head around this - as one of the previous posts says

Type - Inch - Metric
Italian - 1.378" x 24 tpi - 35 x 1.058 mm
ISO - 1.375" x 24 tpi - 34.92 x 1.058 mm
British - 1.370" x 24 tpi -34.80 x 1.058 mm
French - 1.366" x 25.4 tpi - 34.7 x 1 mm
Metric BMX - 1.181" x 25.4 tpi - 30 x 1 mm

why is it not British? and the F at the end also helped to confuse me too.

Richard
Richard
Sorry, the above list is correct, and I have corrected my previous post. British and ISO are essentially completely interchangeable and you could interchange ISO and Brit threaded freewheels on the same ISO or British hub. Italian will fit on to ISO and British threaded hubs, but if you screw an Italian freewheel on to a Brit threaded hub that hub will be forever only suitable for Italian freewheels. The initial action of screwing an Italian freewheel on to a Brit hub re-profiles the thread pitch and going back and forth will eventually weaken the threads to failure.

Thanks,

The freewheel query means i think i need a 5/6 sp French freewheel (i hope) and i am also hoping that it threads on after the damage i caused to the threads.

On the axle front, the adjusters do not really contact the axle - the pics do not show this too well. Removal of the thin washers on each side might make it a better job - is there any difficulties associated with doing this?

AND - on the adjusters front, i turned the NDS one yesterday and it might be stuck - the little knob on the end came off but i was able to get it back on - it looks like it is threaded to the adjuster but this means it will only screw in, if i mess with it i could end up have it stuck - any ideas?

Thanks again,

Richard

Threaded adjusters often get stuck / rusted in. If you can get the wheel straight then leave them. The other end has a screw slot which is what you should use, the small knurled nut on the end is to stop you stabbing yourself (and for adjusting when new). Later ones had a wing nut for adjustment on the outside..........

Shaun

TGR":1ih7atni said:
Thanks,

The freewheel query means i think i need a 5/6 sp French freewheel (i hope)
If you do, have a look on ebay.fr and search 'Roue Libre 6v'. There are often NOS Sachs Maillard freewheels on there.

Latest posts

Back