E W Hannington restore begins

oldgit

Retro Guru
Bought this rather rare Hannington 531 Professional frame a while back and decided to slowly sort it.
Would have been nice to go Campag, but I already had some nice condition 600 kicking about. And as I wanted to use this bike went with it.
Just loosely hung a few bits on it today to make sure it's all straight, and I only need cables and BB to complete the kit
Now ready to send it off for paint, I can't get decals so I'm going plain. Still not sure if to PC or have it done 'properly'
Oh and need to get a little alloy disc made to plug the crown.
9537025201_ce01a05368_z.jpg

9539816550_c418644c0b_z.jpg

This is the very very worst of the rust, see the holes where the weight saving alloy plugs go!
9537025563_989b958424_z.jpg

Went with 105's here as I needed nutted brakes DA would be nice in the future.
Although some bits need to go on still, it's silly light.

Raw and celeste(ish) go so well, don't paint it!
Good luck with the re build. Any idea on the colour it's going or are you just gonna hope the right one jumps out of the sprayers chart when you turn up?

Egg shell blue, Pastel green or the lightest of Pinks. And hopefully someone can just do me E.W.H decals in red/white/blue

interesting fork crown with the open tubes, never seen that before. Maybe not so good for a rainy place though?

Steven

I had two tandems built for me by Bill Hannington back in the 80's, one with ishiwata DB and the other with Reynolds 531 so its nice to see one of his solo machines, tasty looking frame :cool:

I chanced upon this post, many years on and was curious as to how you progressed with the Hannington rebuild.
I'm hopeful of acquiring an available Bill Hannington frame locally here in Reading.

Shaun

Here's a picture - hopefully - of the Hannington head tube / seat tube transfer. I'm hoping to get a good image of the down tube ones.

Regards

Shaun

Attachments

• Bill Hannington Bike transfer.jpg
    Bill Hannington Bike transfer.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,618
Back