1990 Ridgeback 704XT

Re: 1990 Ridgeback 704XT ** FINISHED 15/08/13 **

Thanks for the comments all, means a lot... :D

@ Ben - felt a bit guilty for nicking it under your nose so relieved to hear you would have passed on it any way!

Will give you first dibs if I put up for sale of course ;)

FIRST RIDE PICS 18/08/2013 - DELAMERE FOREST

Took it for a quick ''getting to know you ride'' round Delamere this morning - 23yrs of waiting to ride a 704XT and couldn't stop smiling :oops: :LOL:

03yj.jpg

2f0f.jpg

snh3.jpg

u233.jpg

ow1n.jpg

4t8a.jpg

nu69.jpg

r6se.jpg

5wwt.jpg

0mmf.jpg

zl6j.jpg

Cheers,

Matty :D

EDIT -- NOW ENTERED IN BoTM :D

drystonepaul":3mkwgc69 said:
Great work. That does look brilliant. It's also one bike that I'd like in my collection.
I blame the 1990 Freewheel catalogue for that...

I miss those Freewheel catalogues. I'm rather hoping when I rediscover my old stash (no, not that kind of stash) of magazines, I've got one for posterity, but I suspect I let it slide.

Matty

Crackingly :cool:

I can't believe i've missed this build (but thanks to BOToM...)

I too had the catalogue BITD prob '88 or '89 though. They were my favourite 'other' brand :LOL:

And

Just echoing all the other comments about Freewheel etc.

Such a lovely bike mate. Brings back some great memories, I'm not even jealous, just very happy to see such a nice bike :D

Nice job.

I like it a lot. I prefer restored bits better than a bike plenty of NOS components. There is a lot of love in a resto like yours.
I love to see the old bits shining like new but with the marks of being used, they were used and have its own history. And now someone
respecting the work of other that gave life to beautiful bike bits make them rebirth and give them a new life another time.

Can you tell us what materials do you used to restore the shine of the paint of the frame?
(like it a lot with the old decals and the little marks)

Congrats.

miliu":289bc9ih said:
Nice job.

I like it a lot. I prefer restored bits better than a bike plenty of NOS components. There is a lot of love in a resto like yours.
I love to see the old bits shining like new but with the marks of being used, they were used and have its own history. And now someone
respecting the work of other that gave life to beautiful bike bits make them rebirth and give them a new life another time.

Can you tell us what materials do you used to restore the shine of the paint of the frame?
(like it a lot with the old decals and the little marks)

Congrats.

Thanks, miliu - used nothing more technical than T-Cut, Turtlewax, microfibre cloths and plenty of elbow grease :D

Slight update on this now, as after going on a few rides it was time to tweak the bike to get it a bit comfier....

I found the previous Ritchey ForceLite bar too narrow at 560mm so replaced with a wider Titec Enduro XC one (585mm) to give a slightly better position for me.

free upload

Also, with the headtube being only 85mm and me 6ft, I needed to add bar ends to give a bit more height to the front end (I've hopefully avoided a Halfords 'wave' angle, though... :D .) Stem is also as high as I can get away with, too - thick powder coat means it's pretty wedged in thankfully..

NOS X-lite bar ends from eBay for a tenner (were NOS till I scuffed them however..!):

uploading pictures

Koolstops added as well:

image upload

Drivetrain wise, the cassette was fairly worn as were a couple of the chainrings too, so time for an upgrade there.

New cassette - SRAM PG730 12-32t, can climb vertically when this is in the granny gear now!

post a picture

NOS onZa Buzz Saw 26t inner ring, bargain from SJS @ £2.99

image post

KMC chain - X8.93 - always used SRAM so for a change went with this one..

upload pic

And a Stronglight 36t middle ring from my LBS finished off with a Blackburn bottle cage in black. Also need to perhaps change the seatpost as it turns out it takes a 26.2mm one rather than the 26.0mm I've currently been using (shimmed with a coke can of course..). Fitted SPuDs for personal preference as well.

image hosting 20mb

Pretty much content now :D

image hoster

screen cap

screen shot on windows

http://postimage.org/

Re: Re:

dazzawazza":1p9lkc6m said:
Hi Matty, great bike and restoration!

Last year I acquired an 89 602 EX.

Pics here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=10

It's in great condition, but is missing the seat post and saddle.
I've recently purchased a new re-issue white Turbo (bargain £1:cool:, but need to know the post diameter.

Do you know the post diameter for the earlier Ridgeback 602s?

Cheers.

Thanks, mate.... Seatpost "should" be 26.0mm, though perhaps someone else could confirm?

I'll be swapping the period correct Madison one currently fitted for a 26.2mm one so would suit yours a treat if you're interested?

Cheers :D

Back