Could powder coating damage a lightweight

oldgit

Retro Guru
I have an old Hannington to repaint, it's 531 Professional which I think was the stripped down 531c, i.e before the specifically made 531SL.
Anyway I'm sure I once read that PC'ing might harm such a light frame?

I doubt the actual process of powder coating will damage the frame, as it's lightly sprayed on and baked in an oven at about 200-250ºc.

Although as Yellow_Peril said the prep might damage it if it's done badly.

To powder coat or not is a popular source of disagreement amongst your fellow forum members.

But if in doubt, don't do it, as it's quite difficult to undo.

Why do you want to powder coat it anyway?

It you powdercoat and you don't like it, you are stuck with it. It can have a plastic look to the surface and tends to end up uneven in thickness which can spoil any lugwork. Cheaper than paint but I guess you get what you pay for :)

Your frame needs to be blasted by a very experienced renovator as those thin 531P/SL tubes are very easily ovalised.
Then it needs stove enamelling, the only choice for a finely lugged frame like yours. Powder coating has its place but not on your frame.

Robbied196":27or9r7u said:
It you powdercoat and you don't like it, you are stuck with it. It can have a plastic look to the surface and tends to end up uneven in thickness which can spoil any lugwork. Cheaper than paint but I guess you get what you pay for :)

Not really true, car gasket remover will desolve it with no physical damage to the frame

Back