Raleigh Twenty "hop-up" (AASHTA)

I don't know what Deltas are but I sense I'm being made fun of...? ;)

Anyway, I cabled it up last night and put some grips on this morning, and rode it back from the park as a test ride/shakedown. Here's how it looks with grips on...

IMGP5771_zps2f821737.jpg

Impressions now are...

* Fork is very stable, more tempted to keep it now.
* Brakes are lethal! If you're going to change one thing, change this...
* 5 speed at the rear is still slightly fouling the seat stay, but a minor re-space will sort this out I think.
* It's right on the edge of being too small for me, even with the seatpost 1cm above minimum insertion. I'm even considering finding some 175mm cranks instead of the 170s, and tensioning the saddle a bit more.
* Did I mention how bad the brakes were?
* There's plenty of bounce in the bar/stem arrangement, so no need for suspension.

I'll have to sort out these minor issues and take it for a longer ride.

Here it is folded - not Brompton territory, but very easy to chuck in the boot of a car.

IMGP5772_zps17385d92.jpg

Yeah you're right I was taking the pith. ⇧ They's deltas there, it would look bloody handsome though.

Don't think ill of me though. ;)

djoptix":394q0ujo said:
I don't know what Deltas are but I sense I'm being made fun of...? ;)

I certainly wasn't poking fun - great to see another Twenty :D

The brakes certainly are an issue, with those long reach things you're better off putting your foot down I bet. Are the wheels 406s? You'd be a bit better off with 451s with the brakes not so far at the end of their reach I think

They are 406, but I'm stuck with them for the moment, budget doesn't permit new wheels right now. I'm entertaining ideas of brazing on some V mounts.

You lot should visit
http://www.raleightwenty.webs.com/
Due to them and Sheldon Brown I have a BSA Twenty with 5 speed SA hub on 20 x 1&3/8th" wheels being assembled really slowly, nearly 3 years now :oops:
I will get there eventually.
Also a 16" wheeled CWS Commuter, an RSW competitor.
I'm 6'6" so look ridiculous on all these bikes but what the hey, its fun :LOL:

velomaniac":1fk2v0fn said:
You lot should visit
http://www.raleightwenty.webs.com/
Due to them and Sheldon Brown I have a BSA Twenty with 5 speed SA hub on 20 x 1&3/8th" wheels being assembled really slowly, nearly 3 years now :oops:
I will get there eventually.
Also a 16" wheeled CWS Commuter, an RSW competitor.
I'm 6'6" so look ridiculous on all these bikes but what the hey, its fun :LOL:

Yes a really great site. I taught them how to calculate gear ratios or at least I tried to!

Back