Marin Eldridge 1991. FINISHED and field tested.

Re: Marin Eldridge 1991.

+1 for the rear hub maintenance, didn't realise you could do that. Ta Marc

Only had a couple of hours today so, i went round all the cable stuff. Removed, cleaned and replaced where necessary. the brake lever barrel adjusters were super stiff and, anti consumer control.

I used a 10mm spanner to rotate a quarter of a turn either way until it freed up. loads of oxy powder floating around, a dab of grease on the threads as i refitted them.

Also braking system was set up for use, the front blocks are ok and still soft but, the rear...

If they look like this.....

They have been dropping off the the rim and got all 'dual layered' . bin them....

for new or better.

The DX shifters were injected with a load of oil too, feel ok and well indexed. The scratty top tube has been rubbed down and sealed with etch primer. At a distance almost looks like the earlier , lighter zolatone! I have a top tube pad in grey now delivered so, a welcome addition and simple solution to a paint defect.

cheers.

A good days work mate.. done in a couple of hours. :)

Been for a spin on it yet? Should be easier on the ol' back ;)

Lovely to see another Eldridge getting the love it deserves! Just goes to show that make do and mend can be achieved with the know how and the right tools! I have recently performed similar work on a 91 Eldridge for Mrs wookiee...stripped the hubs and performed a similar operation on the freehub!...reminds me must get some pics up of that one! Hope alls well Marc.

Doug

wookiee":2o0gj0wo said:
Lovely to see another Eldridge getting the love it deserves! Just goes to show that make do and mend can be achieved with the know how and the right tools! I have recently performed similar work on a 91 Eldridge for Mrs wookiee...stripped the hubs and performed a similar operation on the freehub!...reminds me must get some pics up of that one! Hope alls well Marc.

Doug

Cheers doug, so far so good. The rear hub bearings were nagging my mind. so, i rebuilt again, this time using the gubbins from a nos M510, same thread and cones (more or less). the grease guards are different so i just mashed things together until they worked as a unit. very smooth now. The freehub body 'grabs' and grunts every now and again so i'm looking for a replacement for that. This one will last approximately 1 yorkshire winter ride. ;)

I've fitted a top tube pad and i'm waiting to find funds for a chain.

I will put some better/update pics up asap.

thanks.

marc two tone":14eohpdu said:
wookiee":14eohpdu said:

Doug

Cheers doug, so far so good. The rear hub bearings were nagging my mind. so, i rebuilt again, this time using the gubbins from a nos M510, same thread and cones (more or less). the grease guards are different so i just mashed things together until they worked as a unit. very smooth now. The freehub body 'grabs' and grunts every now and again so i'm looking for a replacement for that. This one will last approximately 1 yorkshire winter ride. ;)

I've fitted a top tube pad and i'm waiting to find funds for a chain.

I will put some better/update pics up asap.

thanks.

yeah I had to replace some of the ball bearings from another set of semi knackered deore hubs...fortunately the cups and cones were ok...my bb was knackered but got a UN54 for under a tenner so all good! You should try a southern winter not much more friendly than a Yorkshire one!

Hi all, I managed to get out before the rain started! good job, very heavy.

Back to the bike. The freehub was past it's best in my opinion. I could have potentially got a few rides out of it but, considering the whole hub was disassembled....I saw some shimano RSX road hubs on crc, these have the same freehub as exage and was a good and cheap opportunity to gain cones, bearings etc ;) For a little over 7 quid, rear end all fresh again! :shock: ;)

Original cassette back on (HG50) and a new sram chain, works just fine and shifts sweet enough. I always like to 'shake down' a bike before any real test gets thrust upon it. So far, i found the front hub cones need pinching up a little, too much air in front tyre and front mech won't allow chain to drop to inner ring. This turned out to be the inner limit screw that needed winding out a full turn or so.....yep, it's seized! And, the screw head is butchered, must have been an issue some years ago. At some point i will shave the bottom of the bolt down to gain the adjustment the mech needs.

Overall a very smooth ride. I found the eldridge a big ol' comfy horse, on the heavy side but, ideal for what i'm going to deploy the bike for.

This type of trail, canal side stuff, wooded trails and other easy and flat sfuff. Afterall semi-slick tyres on hugging the wolber rims.

:)

Original chainstay protector has taken a beating, still doing the job though.

I just can't work out the flouro colours vs lighting conditions? ask wookiee. Sometimes the pics show the bars and stem as 'blood orangey/grapefruit. And then to naked eye, the colours are most definately bright stinking orange. Must not complain, that it what retro is all about. :D

Mate it is near impossible to photograph accurately the colour of the fluro! I have tried and failed with my Eldridge and the Team photos don't do it the justice it deserves in the flesh!...Fair play for reviving this bad boy and getting it back into the land of the ridden!...1 thing for me...the pipe laggin on the tope tube! :LOL: only teasing! ;) ....however if you want a mint one I'm selling my Eldridge at the mo!

All the best bud

Doug

Back