Process to setup to Cantilever Brakes - Arrggghh.

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
I don't like Cantis, always willing to get my hands dirty with bikes and have a go seting things up, fixing, replacing, messing about - I am perhaps a bit crude and rushed with doing things but get the job done.

I have been fine setting up V Brakes, Calipers and Discs, one thing I have never got on with is Cantilever brakes, there seems to be too many variables: Blocks, Centering, Straddle (?) Wire, Cable fixing point, angles (90degrees?).

Now I have an old bike to use for the winter commute, its back to the dreaded Cantis. The brakes are Deore LX from the early 90s, the levers are the nasty plastic covered break/shifter combo. I have run new cables and housing. I do have them setup, and they seem OK, not had chance to test the in real weather, my fear will be they won't work great and will squeal like a pig. :facepalm:

Where do you begin setting this up, what should I get right first, what should I finish up with?

Aye... will have a thorough look, a quick browse confirms there are so many variables, its the centering and alignment that always makes it hard work for me. One block always seems to make contact first, then you have them set right, use the brakes and they don't seem be equal distance or lob sided :facepalm:

I will wait for some new blocks I have on order before messing about, and doing in the order shown.

So many little things to get right!.....

Assuming cable outers all ok, barrel adjusters out halfway on levers, equal tension on springs in cantis themselves, grease on brake bosses, grub screw halfway on right hand canti if applicable.set cantis without pads so they are 5 or 10 degrees off vertical, and straddle cable about an inch off tyre.......get the set up working ok without blocks in place.

Good tip to set blocks up without tyre on rim first......I use a bit of folded paper to put in between rear of block and rim to give about 1mm of toe in. Other tools are available but the paper thing works for me. Do things up tight and slacken barrel adjuster off a couple of turns to drop pad of rim a little. adjust grub screw to give even movement each side of rim, and have 5 mins with a spoke key to make sure rim true.

Make sure nothing rubbing when tyre is re mounted......

I must be a little odd, but I think this is the most rewarding thing to get right during a build.......tools everywhere, bit of music on......

.......man time!!...... :D :D

@mattrix in the days of google and youtube you have the audacity to post and snivel about setting up a cantilever?

Please remember that many of us that were there at the beginning ...when there was no or little internet. We figured it out. Now man up friend, get at it, dig into it and just do it.

Geez man you sound like my new whinny puppy.

Please remember that many of us that were there at the beginning ...when there was no or little internet. We figured it out. Now man up friend, get at it, dig into it and just do it.

Or just bin them and slap a set of V brakes on there. :D

gm1230126":20d8hu9r said:
@mattrix in the days of google and youtube you have the audacity to post and snivel about setting up a cantilever?

Geez man you sound like my new whinny puppy.

Lol, I could never get my cantis setup BITD. They rubbed, squeaked, never consistent, but good enough to wear a rim wall right through.

I know we have YouTube etc, but thought I would ask you knowledgeable lot.

xerxes":2g82c0lf said:

Or just bin them and slap a set of V brakes on there. :D

Is cantis to vbrakes a straight swap or is there other things to worry about, like cable routing?

Back