And today I did......

Spent a happy couple of hours removing the 47 year old cottered axle assembly from the Flying Scot without dramas, then replaced it with a nice cotterless square taper Tange I had sitting in a spares box. All nicely cleaned and lubed up. Strangely satisfying and pretty much the first bike fiddling I've done for many months. :D

Lightweight drillium SR double chainset now fitted. Still to fit front derry etc and replace chain as the existing one is a tad short, then we'll see if rear derry is able to take up sufficient slack on the wee gears.

Original Bayliss Wiley axle unit goes into the sealed plastic container with other original FS parts so that all mods can be reversed.

Next? - probably an alloy headset which is waiting in the wings :twisted:

Also found this fekkin gorgeous stuff....... http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/ex ... xtras.html

:idea:

Had a wee trundle round Blairadam this afternoon not before I dropped into OCP's gaff for a coffee (prices werent to bad) :LOL:
Blairadam wasnt to bad given the many showers its had today and a lot of OUR trails have been marked with red & white tape, I take it theres been summit on recently. Heart & lungs werent to bad but my arms felt like lead when I finished, I was low on fuel as well (I could only afford one biscuit at OCP's) :?
Ive not ridden off road for two weeks I think.

Ye were offered another biscuit, jist the wan mind :LOL: , but ye refused. And they were ASDA's finest ane-brand Chocolate Hobnobs, quality neebur. :roll: And there wis Chocolate Ginger biscuits inaw which ye ignored, Ah had tae eat them masel. Will have tae finish them tae, the diet's fecked noo.

Thanks for the conversation and the wheels, they're great.

Finally made the decision to drop the cash on 10 speed drivetrain for the ibis. Everyone I've spoke to using a clutch rear mech loves them, so hoping this will allow me to remove chain device. Was very prone to dropping chain in rough terrain without one. Saved money by keeping old cranks and just bought two Blackspire rings to go with existing bash. Keeping it 2x as I'm still not convinced 1x is the way to go for riding proper hills. Even with his fitness, ZZ couldn't clear some of the climbs at Pitmedden on a 32t and was talking about going down to a 30t. That might sort out the bottom end but it would spin out way to easily on the downs. For some of the places I ride I think it would be way too compromised.
Off work this week so hoping to get some miles in. Would like to get back to Dumfries since I left injured last time after one ride.

Back