1990 17" Kona Lava Dome restoration project

Thanks, I must admit I was impressed with the finish before the decals. Now they're on Im blown away. The comparison between what it was and what it is now is a world apart.

I am very undecided on what to do now with the lava dome build now, keep it original or upgrade components.
what ever the choice I want period components. I have some Deore DX parts which I am very keen on, but do I replace the tired Suntour X-1?

That looks really well, congrats.

Whatever you go for I agree should be period correct, whatever you do I am sure the end result will be smashing.

Looks ace. However you're missing an RM logo on the headtube. ;)

Have you tried bolting anything back onto the frame? Won't it be difficult to bolt things back onto it as it looks like you've powdercoated over the threads? mech hanger, seat clamp, bottle cage. also like to know if there's issues inserting the headset cups and seatpost.

Hi RockiMtn Yes some threads are powder coated, I did wonder myself. Seat post goes in fine and have fitted a rear mech to tap the threads along with bottle cage nuts. I haven't tried fitting cups yet.

out of interest, what RM logo on the headtube? the only decal I think is missing is "the bicycle company" writing under the TBC decal?

agent29":31065zh4 said:
Hi RockiMtn Yes some threads are powder coated, I did wonder myself. Seat post goes in fine and have fitted a rear mech to tap the threads along with bottle cage nuts. I haven't tried fitting cups yet.

out of interest, what RM logo on the headtube? the only decal I think is missing is "the bicycle company" writing under the TBC decal?

:LOL: i think it just me seeing something that's not there, but that looked a lot like a RM logo.

Attachments

• RetroRMLogo.jpg
    RetroRMLogo.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 250
Thanks RockiMtn, I understand now. The RM logo is there, if you look at the last shot I posted its part of the TBC logo on the head tube.

I believe so, my knowledge of the company is limited but what information Ive come across on the net supports this. Early Kona catalogs also listed Brodie in their line up.

Latest posts

Back