Battaglin '87 World Champion

RooKilo

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
This has been a long term project, purchased in March '11 as a basket case and only just completed in July this year. As soon as it was finished I took it to France where I watched stages 19 & 20 of the tour as well as riding stage 20 in full - 105 miles and 12500 feet of climbing by the time we got home! The bike performed faultlessly and is now a keeper. There have been a few trials and tribulations on the way to get it built that I'm not going to bore everyone with but the end result has been well worth it. All the photo's are from my phone so apologies for the quality, I'll get better ones this weekend. Enjoy!

Frame: 57cm Battaglin '87 World Champion Columbus SLX , pantographing to lugs, drop outs, rear brake bridge and seat stays. Cinelli spoiler BB shell, pantographed.

Fork: Columbus SLX, pantographed crown.

Headset: Campagnolo Record
Stem: Cinelli 1r, pantographed
Handlebar: Cinelli 66-42 Campione Del Mondo

Brake Levers / Shifters: Campagnolo Athena 11
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Athena 11

Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Athena 11
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Athena 11
Freewheel: Campagnolo Athena 11 13-29
Cranks: 172.5mm Campagnolo Athena 11
Chainrings: Campagnolo Athena 11 39/53
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Athena 11
Pedals: Look Keo

Rims: Mavic Open Pro
Hubs: Ambrosio Zenith
Spokes: DT Competition
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Record
Tyres: Veloflex Master

Saddle: Rolls Titanio
Seatpost: Campagnolo Chorus

20130720_110238 by Rookilo, on Flickr

20130710_200903 by Rookilo, on Flickr

20130710_200831 by Rookilo, on Flickr

20130710_200845 by Rookilo, on Flickr

20130710_200918 by Rookilo, on Flickr

20130710_200517 by Rookilo, on Flickr

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=139786

cool ! question ,is it a tribute to 1987 worlds i just wondered cause the rear drop outs are obviously 130mm ?

cloonaghpat":1y4s6o0c said:
Superb, the modern groupset looks great on it, it looks at home in that setting too!

Pat

I chose the Athena 11 groupset as I wanted old school looks with modern shifting and brakes, I'm really pleased that at a distance it looks older but when you get up close it's up to date. The photo was taken at a Café stop on a ride around Lake Annecy.

oonaff":1y4s6o0c said:
cool ! question ,is it a tribute to 1987 worlds i just wondered cause the rear drop outs are obviously 130mm ?

It's a genuine World Champion '87 made to celebrate Stephen Roche's triple winning season (Giro, Tour and Worlds) so had 126mm rear spacing. This has been sprung out to 128mm to accept the hub and still be able to go back to 126mm, as it's good old Columbus SLX this can be done easily unlike 753. It's not quite perfect though as modern derailleurs are designed to run with vertical dropouts not horizontal so it took a lot of tweaking to get it to change gear nicely. Another problem with the dropouts was I couldn't stop the rear wheel slipping no matter how tight or what skewer I used so in the end I made a plate as seen in the last recently added photo.

That modern polished Anthena gruppo is really quality kit & nicely buffed up aswell :) Nice setting there also - lucky you

Back