Advice on fitting a Jekyll trunnion fox on an sts

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just been lucky enough to get a modern (sorry) rear fox shock originally from a cannondale Jekyll, and I know it can be made to fit an STS, but I don't know how. Does anyone have experience in what needs to be done?

Can I use the existing hardware? Will it simply just fit or will I need to modify/source any parts to make it work?

Thanks in advance

I think I read once that you need to get the GT trunnion ring rethreaded to suit the cannondale shock. But don't quote me...

cce":2gyix8ln said:
I think I read once that you need to get the GT trunnion ring rethreaded to suit the cannondale shock. But don't quote me...
Cheers for that, its a step in the right direction.

I've heard that the Jekyll/fox mount can also be adapted using brake mounts, but no idea where I read that or if its true.

A custom trunnion might be possible I guess, but if I can get a rock shox one adapted, then great (though might want it black to match the shock :oops: ).

I've not got the tools to do this myself, nor have I used anyone for anything like this before, what kind of company would do this?

Have you considered the early '96 GT or BETD linkage for using a standard shock, rather than the trunnions fitting:
02%20-%20Traditional%20link%20bush%20kit%20(medium).jpg

Marked as temporarily out of stock at the moment at BETD :(

They also make replacement trunnions fittings,
GTltstrunnion.JPG

so could probably make one with a different thread if required.
I've always found them very helpful and interested in projects.

All the best,

Thanks Dan, have considered this option and may well use it as a fall back if I can't find something that fits with the linkage I have (though there is not a lot wrong with the rear shock I have, just trying to improve the build as much as I can as its a keeper).

I think the fox shock I've acquired will work, but time will tell as to whether a new trunnion will be needed.

I don't believe the earlier linkage will fit, and believe me, the only shock you will find in 5.25x1.25 for that link is a Risse anyway.

I would try and acquire a spare trunnion, have an engineering firm measure the thread on the shock body and modify to suit.

Excited now as the shock arrives tomorrow but still none the wiser as to how it will fit or if mods are required. Anyone done this successfully?

cce":vt9l4c1e said:
It'll probably be quite clear once you have it in hand....
Is that speaking from experience? Getting the trunnion off is a faff, well it is on my spare/practice frame as the shock bushes are seized so I can't get the spring off the shock.

Hopefully it will just slip in without any hassle, but I doubt that.

Latest posts

Back