Rossin Pursuit Build

Townman

Dirt Disciple
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Retro bike, but my friend TGR persuaded me to post my latest build. Hopefully it may appeal to some. For a long time I have been searching for a Rossin Pursuit frame, as I am a big fan of lo pro bikes. It is kind of the ultimate bike for me, so I have dedicated many years searching for it. A few months back I was lucky enough to get my hands on one!

9519793936_801b507ac8_c.jpg

9519757556_c2a564086e_c.jpg

9517507325_39f5c3c637_c.jpg

9519765158_17b3e27be5_c.jpg

9519780338_2227134b9f_c.jpg

9519783004_6b607aac8f_c.jpg

As you can see, it has seen better days but this didn't worry me. I always thought it would be a restoration project as plus finding one in mint condition may take me decades to find and would probably leave me bankrupt. I have seen a few for sale but the sales never went through for various reasons, but I made sure this one wouldn't slip through the net.

It arrived and didn't disappoint, although it does have some some dings and the paintwork is bad in places. No obvious signs of rust anywhere though which is good. The dropouts have seen a lot of wheel changes and have been crushed leaving the surface very rough and uneven. It also doesn't have the fork clamps which was disappointing but not a huge problem.

Looking at some classic examples of Rossin pursuit bikes, I felt it was important to be faithful to the original builds, so the aim it to find and source original parts.

rossin11.jpg

5896358212_3a6d74e55d_b.jpg

9527539006_751d507298_c.jpg

I bought this amazing Rossin campag Crankset which I thought would go great with it. Notice the Olympic rings on the chainring.
9524720399_463b0cf436_c.jpg

Some people may disapprove, but I think my aim is to get the paintwork restored/re-powdercoated in the same pearlescent off white colour. It has character, but the paintwork needs some love and bringing back to life. I have sourced some exact decals, just a very very slightly different colour scheme which has helped my decision to ahead with the new paintjob.

I also need to get the handlebar clamps machined. I was lucky enough to have access to a 3D printer so I made prototype clamps to test sizes before I asked someone to create them in steel.

1098032_10151597656852712_623010249_n.jpg

1001223_10151597534662712_393803665_n.jpg

You can see here - A Rossin in very nice condition with the handlebar clamps.
rossin-pursuit.jpg

That's it for now. I will post more once the project develops.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

HI Matt,

You know i love this and i am sure other readers will too. Continue the posts - this is a good start and i know there is more to come. I love the 3D printer - can it make Simano AX hoods? LOL

Good luck with the rest of this amazing build.

Richard

That is lovely! Gonna cost you some to build that in the current climate....

Powder coating will devalue it pay out and get a nice paint job. Any dents get them filled with with braze by a frame builder don't just fill them with fibre glass car filler....

Looking forward to seeing this build!

I got an earful dissing powder coat the other day. I was trying an alternative more subtle form of dissuasion.

But you said it Tel. :)

I did indeed and we're right. I've seen some nice powder coat jobs but there is no two ways about it PC devalues a bike of this calibre, alright to freshen up an old raleigh winner but not this!

Tel,

You know i love this bike!! I sent you an email - did you get it?

Matt,

More! More! More!

Richard

Powder coating is for structural steelwork and Volkswagen T 2 engine trays not vintage bikes.

Edited: Because I can't read properly, apologies.

Powder coating was just an option. What are the pros and cons of both? Powder coating is wildly used on bike frames why would this devalue it?

Back