Marin Wolf Ridge 1998

Thanks, ellist we had a lot of fun making the vid too. It was in the area known as Les Carroz, part of the "Grand Massif" domain which stretches from Samoens to Flaine and provides hundred of Kilometres of pistes. It also offers lift assisted downhill mtb in the summer months. It is probably the most skibike friendly area in France currently, but slowly but surely other areas are opening up to us too.
I was riding the Marin, if I remember correctly my mate Carl was riding a modern DaBomb conversion, Serge, a local skibike manufacturer was riding his latest prototype skibike and his engineer friend Thierry was riding a totally scratch built custom model.
Serge and Thierry's skibikes had brakes, a system which digs in to the snow like a backward facing bear's paw to scrub speed, but Carl and I had to weave around and drift the rear ski for braking, which might explain the rather odd bobbing motion you see as we are moving along.

It's great fun and not to difficult when the snow is soft or slushy, but things can get a bit hairy if it is really hard and icy in the mornings.

Back