Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways...

Re: Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways..

fatandforty":2j4ted7h said:
50MPH on a dual

60MPH on a motorway.

passed a Tesco one today 'At tesco, we take your safety seriously, this vehicle is restricted to 40mph on single carriageways, 50mph on dual carriageways and motorways'

Leave earlier, drive slower, save money...

...and when I worked put of Cambridge I used to average around 400 miles a day; always an alternative route to most places in the Fens :cool:

Just chill LGF, unless you're delivering kidneys or other transplant organs then I reckon you'd have a right to be irked, possibly even peeved.

Tad":2n3u79lj said:
Just chill LGF, unless you're delivering kidneys or other transplant organs then I reckon you'd have a right to be irked, possibly even peeved.

NO!

Mmmmmmmmust passsss lorrry!

legrandefromage":1j7qrh53 said:
fatandforty":1j7qrh53 said:
50MPH on a dual

60MPH on a motorway.

passed a Tesco one today 'At tesco, we take your safety seriously, this vehicle is restricted to 40mph on single carriageways, 50mph on dual carriageways and motorways'

I reckon if you have some good sprinting legs and a 54:11 it might be possible to hop in behind one of those and get a tow. :mrgreen:

legrandefromage":35g4m3sh said:
fatandforty":35g4m3sh said:
50MPH on a dual

60MPH on a motorway.

Then it's another Tesco policy and nothing to do with the law, the same as asking for ID for under 25's when the law states 18.

Chute55uk":1a93ldkc said:
I want to ban hgv's from using single lane roads, ban them from driving on the weekends, ban them from all but lane 1 of the motorway.
just my thoughts, but I'm sick of being buzzed by 40 ton artics on the B whatever when there are perfectly good a roads and dual carriageways and indeed mways but taking shortcuts saves them oohh minutes.
being forced out lane 3 because they decide that indicating somehow gives them right of way and nearly takes the front of my car off as i'm overtaking them in lane 2.
not being able to use the mway on a sunday because there are yet more traffic jams, I remember when you wouldn't see a hgv on the weekend, now they are friggin everywhere. this isn't a pop at andy its a moan at one group of inconsiderate road users who I have decided to single out and treat unfairly.
that is all :)

Yes, it does happen - but not ALL HGV drivers are like that. Sadly, those who get on with the job and do their best to be safe, considerate drivers are totally ignored because people only ever notice the idiots. Its the same with motorcycling. And cycling.

I'm 55 and I can't ever recall not being able to see HGVs on a weekend (and that's not just cos I'm married to Andy! :D )

As for the new motorways rules about middle lane hoggers etc. Clearly doesn't apply on the M62 - been to Bradford and back today and lots of burks in tiny cars floating about at 55mph in the middle lane - cops going past and no interest taken.

Saw this a while back - the way forward, or at least one of them.... .... ....

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/7 ... l-traffic/

When working in London some years ago we were putting up proposals to remove bin lorries from the roads and transport waste via canal to incinerator at Edmonton. Capital investment was lacking but it did start to happen small scale.

Now - don't get me started on waste-to-energy plants :twisted:

Great info Panda.

I was talking to Caledonian Canal bods earlier and they mentioned some proposed increases in commercial use of the Caledonian.

Very little of the traffic is perishables, there seems no reason we can't get more on the rail or on the water.

...and how do you get it to rail/water?

Oh yeah, by twice as many lorries, twice as many forklifts, twice as much manpower, etc, etc, etc...

...which is precisely why the proposals have never got off the ground each time they have been mooted; you learn a lot working in the newspaper industry, especially when (out of necessity) so much gets edited out that you still get to see beforehand.

Latest posts

Back