Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways...

Re: Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways..

I drive a Connect; 50 on single carriageways, 60 on dual, 70 on M'ways...

...if I have a 6AM start my 42 mile commute (20 on A/B roads, 22 on M23) takes me 50 minutes, any later start and the extra traffic stretches that to an hour; unrestricted, early hours of the morning or late at night, I could do it in 40 by driving at some highly licence damaging speeds!

What's the point?

Just driven in today, heavy rain, most of the M23 in outside lane; only traffic to pass me was a couple of contractors vans, an old Citroen Saxo and an Evoque...

...I don't have any issues with driving a restricted vehicle :cool:

I tells you what I can't understand. Why are lorries restricted to 56, yet a coach with 50 people on board is allowed to do 66?

...likewise my van is restricted to 70 on the motorway but a fully laden Chelsea Tractor can do 120+

Where's the logic in that?

I want to ban hgv's from using single lane roads, ban them from driving on the weekends, ban them from all but lane 1 of the motorway.
just my thoughts, but I'm sick of being buzzed by 40 ton artics on the B whatever when there are perfectly good a roads and dual carriageways and indeed mways but taking shortcuts saves them oohh minutes.
being forced out lane 3 because they decide that indicating somehow gives them right of way and nearly takes the front of my car off as i'm overtaking them in lane 2.
not being able to use the mway on a sunday because there are yet more traffic jams, I remember when you wouldn't see a hgv on the weekend, now they are friggin everywhere. this isn't a pop at andy its a moan at one group of inconsiderate road users who I have decided to single out and treat unfairly.
that is all :)

How will they get their loads to the stores if they can't drive on single carriageway roads?

I am all for banning them from the middle lane of the motorway though.

To be honesr chopper I couldnt care less how they do it, take the link road from kingston to brogborough for example there is the 421 and the m1 they could use but they choose to use roads that are totally inappropriate for hgv, s duals and mways were built to relieve the pressure on small roads not to give these monsters a choice of routes.

...but at the same time everyone wants cheap milk, cheap food, cheap clothes, cheaper fuel, etc, etc.

Just one HGV costs a small fortune to run per annum so it's understandable when they want to save whatever costs they can.

That's the reason lorries seem to pull put somewhat indiscriminately (if you were a half decent driver you would be anticipating such moves!), it takes a lot of fuel to drag a fully laden HGV up to motorway speeds so small wonder they want to maintain their momentum?

There is going to be much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth if the Plod embrace these new on the spot fines to their fullest extent!

Chute55uk":2cuknir6 said:
To be honesr chopper I couldnt care less how they do it, take the link road from kingston to brogborough for example there is the 421 and the m1 they could use but they choose to use roads that are totally inappropriate for hgv, s duals and mways were built to relieve the pressure on small roads not to give these monsters a choice of routes.
T' is a good observation. The incidence of big trucks on inappropriate minor roads has risen sharply round here since Sat nav became commonplace.

Latest posts

Back