The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

got these bad boys for £39 on gumtree Mission 702e's and have to say I am impressed, soundstage is great and mid and bass are great mibee a tat bright but thats what tone controls are for- bi wiring did make a difference to :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• Mission_702e-1.JPG
    Mission_702e-1.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 4,676

Will post pics tonight, but for starters I have the following that I need to move along...all in good condition. Ideally need these collected or if you are local to Kent/East Sussex I could probably deliver myself. But will work out postage on top of the sales price if I get any interest, if that sounds fair.

Pair of B&W DM602 S2 Speakers - £150
Musical Fidelity X-A2 Amp - £175
Musical Fidelity X-Cans v2 (phono amp) £75
Trichord Revelation CD Player - £90

As I say I will put photos up as soon as I can. I may not have the power pack for the X-Cans so will adjust the price accordingly if that's the case.

My Quad 405-2 amp has started 'buzzing' loudly should i be worried? If so how long before repair?

Probably needs reservoir capacitors replacing. Could be 20 - 30 years old, and they don't last longer than that.

Step into my office...

(roughly translates to 'want me to take a look?' I did mine a few months back)

apache":12mc3qy6 said:
Probably needs reservoir capacitors replacing. Could be 20 - 30 years old, and they don't last longer than that.

Step into my office...

(roughly translates to 'want me to take a look?' I did mine a few months back)

Will pm you soon. Thanks :)

I have an Onkyo tx sr605 for sale. Rally nice amp but want the money for something else. On ebay for £95 but would do for less on here. Would rather not post as I don't have a box with polystyrene blocks (and its not insured otherwise as I have learnt to my own cost)

Hi y'all

Long-term lover of the hi-fi thread, first time poster.

Looking for thoughts and advice. I have ran the same set-up since the 90's and never had any inclination to change anything: Naim CD3, NAIT3, a pair of Musical Technology speakers and a REL Q-Bass. The REL has been unplugged for a while due to its menacing effects on my neighbours.
However, my musical habits have changed and I am tentatively thinking of making changes to my set-up. I no longer use my CD player since building a media PC and adding a HRT Music Streamer II DAC. In fact, since building my HTPC it has made CD, DVD and Blu Ray completely redundant and most of my media has been either hidden away or jettisoned completely. I never thought I'd end up embracing soulless, heartless FLAC files but I'm not terribly obsessive over sound reproduction, and this means I have ended up with a huge and more diverse selection of music - and isn't enjoying the music the whole point?

My query:
I have been toying with buying new speakers. Mine look tired and I have been looking at them for years on end, and I suspect I might be missing out by holding onto them. I've been scouring the interweb for Mission 752 and 753 Freedoms, principally because these were completely unaffordable at the time and now people seem keen on getting them out of their houses for the sort of money I wouldn't miss. I'd probably be able to ditch the subwoofer completely too. On the other hand this would create two problems: these speakers seem to like a reasonable amount of wattage and my Naim only produces 30W, so I'd probably need a new amplifier, and I don't know if I can part with my current speakers or my NAIT!

The speakers are Musical Technology Kestrels, sold to my by Graham at Hull's Zen Audio. He really liked them for the price and I loved the quirky, skinny floorstanders (although you really need a subwoofer to partner the 5" bass / mid drivers). So I am thinking, as a secondary option: dismantle the Kestrels and replace the drivers with posher, more upmarket examples, and at the same time have the cabinets re-finished to replace the tired (and hideous) black ash. These looked great when I lived in a bedroom at my parents house and also looked great in my university houses, but these days they look - well - like bedroom and university speakers.

This would not be a DIY project. I work full-time and when I'm home my audio gear is on pretty much constantly, so I don't have the time to invest in getting it right. I know someone that can re-finish the cabinets - but as for replacing the internals, I have no clue and do not want to spend hours researching.

So:
Is anyone able to point me in the direction of how I decide what specification drivers I should get (starting from how I measure the size / fitting??) and then how do I buy a crossover that is suitable without having to design one myself (there is no way I would ever attempt this). I've seen ready-build crossovers but I have no idea whatsoever what I am looking at!

Alternatively, anyone looking to part with a decent pair of 753 Freedoms?

Back