Suburban RetroBike #1 - NEW DATE - 29th September 2013

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As has been mooted on recent rides, I would like to do an inaugural "Suburban RetroBike" ride in September.

The planned route would follow the Thames Path from Greenwich to Dartford. This takes you past some interesting landmarks such as The Cutty Sark, Queen Anne's house, The O2 Dome, Emirates Air Line Experience (cable car) and the Thames Barrier before taking on a more semi-rural aspect as we head out through Thamesmead. Further on, beyond Belvedere and Erith the route wends through salt marshes so typical of the estuary environment.
We would then cross the Dartford Tunnel, using the free bike taxi, for some brief exploration of Rainham Marshes Nature Reserve in Essex. Returning via the free bike taxi, this time crossing the Queen Elizabeth II bridge, providing the potential for some late afternoon panoramas of the Thames Estuary. Finally we would return to Greenwich along the Thames Path.

As has been typical of previous rides I have organised, it is likely to be quite an extended ride of as much as 50 miles all in, spread out over 6 or so hours. However, due to the nature of the landscape and quality of the trail, it is easy riding and should suit RetroBike riders of all abilities. There is also the option to bail out on the return journey by picking up a train from Dartford, which is somewhat of a transport nexus, hence well served.

This would be the ideal opportunity to have a bit of a South London / North Kent meet up and put names to faces. Greenwich is good for anyone coming from North Kent, but those from the South may find it quicker to head for Lewisham or Hither Green and ride the few miles to the start point.
I would be following my usual route UrbanRetroBike route from Croydon to Greenwich to the start point, so could always pick up/return South Coasters to/from East Croydon station.
For those coming by car, there is plenty of free parking spots on Blackheath about 1/2 mile from Greenwich and just off the A2 trunk road.

The riding would suit heavier touring/hybrid bikes and lighter hard tailed cross-country mountain bikes. I would recommend 26" x 1.75 or 700c x 35 as a bare minimum to avoid pinch punctures.

Lastly, I "pre-disastered" the ride a month or so ago and ironed out some of the pitfalls with my original plan. Read more here http://www.skibike.me.uk/2013/07/urban- ... hames.html

The ride has been re-schedule for SUNDAY 29th September

Definitely Coming:

andyz :D
Buster :D

Possibly Coming:

Al-Onestar

Not Coming:

PyroTim :(
secret squirrel :(
gregor :(
BobCatMax :(

Re: Suburban RetroBike #1 - September 2013

put me down for a possible. would love to try this. Have to see how my leg is and what the mrs' shifts are

Re: Suburban RetroBike #1 - September 2013

List updated and a picture from the last ride

Dartford+59.JPG

Re: Suburban RetroBike #1 - 7th September 2013

A quick, is it really only a week away? type bump.

I'm surprised I haven't heard much from the Kent contingent yet, best get your skates on boys for SubUrban RetroBike #1 is but 7 days away.

humanoid1989 ?
Buster ?
Whatleymeister ?
Explosif Phil ?
JeRkY ?
Bike Man ?
cchris2lou ?

bugger, I can't make it now either. Hopefully the next one :oops:

Sadly I can't make this one as I'll be in NY again. Have a good one!

In the words of the great Sid James in Carry On Cleo, "Blimus", so unless there are some last minuters, it's all down to BobCatMax and gregor now.

Back