scary numbers

Very! :shock:

At the current rate, oil will run out before my 8 month old nephew is my age.

the oil thing is bollx though, we are finding more oil all the time. Remember when we were at school and they said 20 years left?

were okay if we run out though, we have bicycles, we can become hippies and live off the land :)
joking id be lost without it how the hell would i run my bikes :'(
doubt well run out for a very long time though and by the time we do, electric cars etc will be the norm

Pyro Tim":2wjqho82 said:
the oil thing is bollx though, we are finding more oil all the time. Remember when we were at school and they said 20 years left?
HA! yes!

Pyro Tim":1bk8zd88 said:

just waiting for Antarctica to thaw out

the oil thing is bollx though, we are finding more oil all the time.

I don't know where to start with that. :shock:

You must live on a different planet to me; one that presumably is infinite in dimension and has infinite resources.

no, I never said it was infinite, but there is a lot more than we are told, as they are finding more all the time. Some is harder to reach than others, and thus more expensive to excavate, but it's there. We have a long time before it will run out. The short period on that link is bobbins.

Oil estimates were based on the then oil extraction technology which has improved making more difficult to reach or smaller deposits worthwhile. Plus of course there is shale oil currently involved in the fracking debate concerning gas capture. West lothian is famous for its ayres rock lookalike shale bings as there are huge oil rich shale deposits all around the world. Hopefully less polluting ways of using fossil fuels will become better in the future. There will still be oil in use long after we're all dead.

And as it gets harder to extract, processes for synthesising oil & petrol will come on line. We'll have oil for a very ling time even if it's not "natural" oil.

People get all hysterical about oil running out and nobody being able to run a car but that's not the issue. Most people could walk, ride or take some kind of new electric public transport to commute if it really came to it. Shipping & aviation keep the world moving and use vast quantities of fuel. Their engines won't be easily be replaced by solar panels and electric motors. They need oil. That's what will drive production of synthetic fuels.

Back