Freewheel Query and now Axle Query!!! with pics

Re: Freewheel Query

I'd be surprised to find that a Campagnolo hub has a French thread - even Maillard don't!

Did they make some for the French market?

Old Ned,

Do you think it is Italian? The freewheel screwed on a few turns quite easily but taking it off was a different story.

Any info will be appreciated as i want/need to use these wheels as they have just been rebuilt - don't make me cry!!!

Richard

I bought a NOS freewheel which was meant to be an ISO fit, but there was no way it would screw onto the hub, contacted the vendor who told me to bin it and he would send me another.

Old Ned":1fd8fifk said:
I'd be surprised to find that a Campagnolo hub has a French thread - even Maillard don't!

Well, there's a lot here in France

ditto. bought a lovely old Record hub on eBay from a seller in France and discovered afterwards that the thread is French. :(
Luckily have a couple of Maillard freewheels with French threads. :)

agentorange":1270p79g said:
Old Ned":1270p79g said:

Well, there's a lot here in France

Yep, I expect there is! I suppose I really meant 'with French threads for the French market'.

Campagnolo rear hubs should say wether it's Italian or English as its engraved next to the flange on the thread side.

The threads are similar, but not identical so beware. If you screw an English block on an Italian threaded hub you will cut the thread on the hub, as the metal is softer than that of the steel block and vice versa.

Attachments

• Campagnolo Hubs 1.jpg
    Campagnolo Hubs 1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Campagnolo Hubs 2.jpg
    Campagnolo Hubs 2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 270

Thanks, but i do not think there is any marking on my Nuovo Tipos - i will check tomorrow, if there is an obvious marking expect me to be very embarrassed!!!

As you have mentioned, i have already make the mistake with the wrong freewheel on these hubs but i did not damage the full thread luckily.

Richard

It seems to go on ok, but when you get to having a fair amount of thread on that's when it starts to cut. I made the same error with a crank that had an English thread and some Italian threaded pedals. :roll:

Exactly!!! And a nightmare to remove, i lost about 3 threads removing the freewheel and it was by pure luck that i tried to remove it when i did or the hub would have been scrapped.

Richard

Back