Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways...

Re: Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways..

My god, I couldn't think of any thing worse then all cars being restricted. How on earth could I get past Doris on her sunday drive with Mavis? And how could I get past the trucks that use my 20 mile route to work even though it's not suitable for trucks that size? What about the tractors? You lot need to have a few trips from Skipton to Harrogate and back. A trip that should take 30 mins legally often takes up to an hour. :facepalm:

Chopper1192":3r7pxgxu said:
Yes, the Forest out my East facing window and rolling fields out the west don't count as a view.

Its not all about you love, i was talking to the cheese ;)

The roads round the Highlands are generally fairly quiet, but often quite twisty and hazardous. 40 or thereabouts is actually pretty fast on roads that are only a few inches wider than your vehicle.

Grannygrinder":mia35t3o said:
Chopper1192":mia35t3o said:
Yes, the Forest out my East facing window and rolling fields out the west don't count as a view.

Its not all about you love, i was talking to the cheese ;)
Ah, I see ducky. Monsieur Fromage has a wonderful view of Mount Grumble, Cambridgeshire' s highest peak. It's so high that sometimes its 12 foot high summit is shrouded in mist.

brocklanders023":36okovv1 said:
My god, I couldn't think of any thing worse then all cars being restricted. How on earth could I get past Doris on her sunday drive with Mavis? And how could I get past the trucks that use my 20 mile route to work even though it's not suitable for trucks that size? What about the tractors? You lot need to have a few trips from Skipton to Harrogate and back. A trip that should take 30 mins legally often takes up to an hour. :facepalm:

It might have changed recently, but I'm sure the 'law' allows you to exceed the stated speed limit for as long as it takes you to safely overtake a slower vehicle, as long as you return to the limit as soon as you pass them. Maybe the restrictors would allow you a quick 10-second burst of speed now and again ;)

Hiya~As someone who drives H.G.Vs thought I would comment.The law states 40 for H.G.Vs on A roads.Not Tesco's etc.Modern trucks are more than capable of higher speeds.But we have to abide by speed limits set years ago!
I am are also tracked by my firm~ they want to protect their license and costs.I try to keep over and give cars/vans a chance but some people don't help the problem.They seem unable to pass when its safe thus adding to the line behind.Most of my driving is Lincs and the eastern counties so I do understand.
So please don't blame us :D only doing a job to pay for more bike tat!

nobody is blaming you, just that most 'lorries' dont do anywhere near 40mph.

50mph on a Motorway is just plain daft.

Koupe":2khbkcq9 said:
brocklanders023":2khbkcq9 said:

It might have changed recently, but I'm sure the 'law' allows you to exceed the stated speed limit for as long as it takes you to safely overtake a slower vehicle, as long as you return to the limit as soon as you pass them. Maybe the restrictors would allow you a quick 10-second burst of speed now and again ;)

Oh no it doesn't! I tried that one with a Traffic Cop a few years ago after I got shafted by, of all things, a Tesco HGV (b*st*rd accelerated as I was overtaking him so yes, I can confirm that they do go a damn sight faster when they feel like it!).

Three more points and a £300+ fine... :(

As for all vehicles being restricted; it is the top speed that is limited, acceleration up to that point is unchanged. As I said earlier, my van only does 68 (max speed +10% +2mph) and I still pass more traffic on the motorways than passes me!

And I don't have to worry about driving around a curve and coming across a camera van on a bridge either :cool:

Dont know where this 50mph on motorways happens.60 is the limit and we are governed to 56mph.The only slow ones I see are the 40ton trucks on hills.We luckily carry light stuff so 56 is our speed.As for A roads many sit at 40+ to keep traffic flowing.
Got to go its Friday and time to head home and dodge the caravan holiday traffic :facepalm: Now there is a thread!

Asda and Tesco lorries proudly state '50mph on dual carriageways for your safety'

Back