No such thing as road tax

The efficiency arguments make me laugh.

Fact is that private car useage is insignificant when compared to fuels used in industry and air travel, but people don't want to accept the fact that their foreign holidays and new kitchen every 4 years creates more carbon/pollution than they can ever imagine.

I drive a 4x4 (35-40 MPG, and yes it does get used offroad). A middle aged woman at work suggested that I get my "Monstrosity" off the road and get something better on fuel. I pointed out that her Mini Cooper S gets worse MPG than my truck. I also suggested that her 5 foreign holidays a year probably had a rather more significant effect than my little motor. Her indignation was priceless.

Daugs

I do 30k plus a year in my van, and in 20 odd years of driving I have never been flashed/harassed by owners of the cars you stated. Perhaps it's because I move into the "slow lane" or middle lane once I've overtaken. It's the lousy middle lane hoggers that are to blame.

Must be that I'm getting older and more mellow

My_Teenage_Self":dhet3p7z said:
The efficiency arguments make me laugh.

Fact is that private car useage is insignificant when compared to fuels used in industry and air travel,
If we're talking about the UK (and we are) then it's not even as big as insignificant. We could all drive cars that run on fresh air and make no difference in a world sense.

Are the US, India, China etc(the big users) etc wringing their hands about how much oil is left, how many trees are felled, how much CO2 they create? Are they ****.

We'll adapt or die. Same as any other species. I suspect we'll adapt but seeing as I'll be long gone I'll carry on as normal for the time being.

Back