Brush Painting A Frame

if you rubbed down a previously painted brightly coloured frame would the new paint have a decent enough key or best to start from scratch with primer etc and 'uncured' new paint?

I think the reason for the patchy (cool) finish is because of the lumpiness of the hand painting being exposed when the top coat is sanded back - you wouldnt get this doing it over an OE (i.e. smooth) finish :-(

WD :D

I used to hand brush frames and the occasional car as a kid.
We used to warm the paint and the brush marks would disappear during drying.

I've heard about the paint warming trick. A friend of mine did all his internal doors with regular brushed on gloss paint. They have a flawless finish.

As to the frame, I really like the effect you've achieved. Kinda got a punk ethic to it.

WD Pro":21x9lwtt said:
I think the reason for the patchy (cool) finish is because of the lumpiness of the hand painting being exposed when the top coat is sanded back - you wouldnt get this doing it over an OE (i.e. smooth) finish :-(

WD :D

:facepalm: silly me.

Just curious... I was looking at Tremclad rust paints today, and they say on the can that primer is not necessary for most applications. Why the three coats of primer? Was it really necessary?
Anybody care to weigh in?

I took a closer look at the bike I'll be working with and I'm lean toward just re-touching after rust removal.

And thanks for the warming paint tip, Joss.

Is this like hammerite (uk)? If so says the same but better with primer I've found.

The black paint I used was water based. It said on the can to use primer on bare metal. I think Tremclad's oil based paints does not require primer. I just used paint I already happened to have.

Bone Machine":28m7cc32 said:
The black paint I used was water based. It said on the can to use primer on bare metal. I think Tremclad's oil based paints does not require primer. I just used paint I already happened to have.

Cool - thanks. Think I was looking at the oil-based, and it says "for metal surfaces only."
Sorry, History Man... not really sure. I think Bone and I are in Canada, eh? :D

Here it is built up:

ohz2.jpg

qk98.jpg

viom.jpg

I'm very pleased at how it turned out. I think History Man's idea of yellow over black would look really nice. I may try multiple colours next time. One thing is for sure - no two bikes will ever look exactly alike.

Latest posts

Back