No such thing as road tax

xerxes":ub39wm7i said:
Seriously though, why are we still producing vehicles that aren't ultra efficient? Nobody needs a 500bhp behemoth to drive the kids to school, get to work or pick up the shopping, they are only for vanity and disrespect for other "lesser" vehicles/people goes hand in hand with that vanity.
Because some of couldn't give a toss about 'efficiency'?

I have a big turbo estate and I drive it alone, ALL THE TIME. I'm a bad man.

I like my car. I like it so much I'm going to get the same one with a bigger engine (and possibly a remap too :)) so I can go faster. I won't be justifying myself to anyone either. I pay my road tax, I mean VED. Lots of it.

I very occasionally ride a bike, so it's all OK. I love the planet.

xerxes":20okotz6 said:
Cars that produce less than 100g/km of CO2 don't pay this "road tax" either.

No, kick everything off the road that produces more. :D

Seriously though, why are we still producing vehicles that aren't ultra efficient? Nobody needs a 500bhp behemoth to drive the kids to school, get to work or pick up the shopping, they are only for vanity and disrespect for other "lesser" vehicles/people goes hand in hand with that vanity.

That's a pretty damning statement, so somebody who has worked hard/done well for themselves shouldn't have a choice of vehicle to buy with their hard earned cash?

Vanity? Please explain?
Are all Klein/Yeti etc top marquee brands ridden by those type of people?
Or perhaps jealousy plays a part?

It's not VED and hasn't been for years. It briefly became VD, but when the DVLA finally twigged that they'd made a funny they quickly changed it to Vehicle Licence, by which name it is still known today.

Kona lover":1xplaq18 said:
That's a pretty damning statement, so somebody who has worked hard/done well for themselves shouldn't have a choice of vehicle to buy with their hard earned cash?

Of course they should, just not one that pollutes massively because it is inefficient.

Our last Beemer was evidence enough for me that power on tap does not have to mean thirsty.

I still believe an older thirsty car has a place as a long life reduces the imbalance of production versus running pollution. We shouldn't be allowing new ones to be manufactured though.

So lets put Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin etc out of business then as they all produce powerful cars.

So should we ban motor racing as well?

Where do you draw a line?

Kill all the livestock? As I'm sure they do the environment damage.

In earlier times, when we thought oil would last forever and no one really considered pollution, that was all fine. Now we know otherwise, driving a big thirsty car is an incredibly selfish act. It's wasting a precious natural resource and fouling up the planet for everyone else and future generations. Once the oil is gone, it's gone forever, future generations will never again have access to such a cheap, compact, portable and plentiful energy source. And lets not forget, that oil is used for many other products in addition to fuel, like plastics, fertilizers, medicines. If we waste it all needlessly, these things will be very expensive in the future and they cannot be replaced with wind, solar or nuclear power.

Vanity? Please explain?

Because nobody NEEDS a 200mph supercar to get around. Other than vanity, what purpose do they serve?

Are all Klein/Yeti etc top marquee brands ridden by those type of people?
Or perhaps jealousy plays a part?

Certainly many of us on this forum ride and own bicycles that are better than the bare minimum needed for transport, I know I do. The difference is, I keep them for decades and once built, they use very little resources to maintain and produce a minimal amount of pollution.

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwU77CDJk-k

Kona lover":1ws874uz said:

not sure it gives them the right to break the law and put other peoples lives at risk by driving dangerously, though

Don't often see Prius (or similar) drivers in the outside lane six inches off the bumper in front flashing their headlights despite there being a queue of traffic. Most modern cars are easily fast enough for the driver to behave in the same way, it is something about the attitude that some people get when they get their Range Rover / BMW / Audi. Interestingly (re the later post) don't often see Ferrari / Aston drivers doing it either, somehow they don't see the need, or maybe just more secure in themselves.

I think people should have any car they want, be it a Mini, Hummer or some Italian bird puller, but they should have black boxes that restrict them to the prevailing speed limit. Job done - freedom of choice is preserved, but they cannae use them to break the law by speeding.

Back