Paris Galibier £45 - Wolverhampton

raleighrider21":2mqx4xcc said:
hes from wolverhampton. i reckon its nicked

You may well be correct; right after I'd agreed the first sale, I contacted Alvin Smith - the V-CC Marque Expert for Paris bikes and I asked him if he was aware of any Paris bikes that have been stolen. He's away at the moment and wasn't able to give me any info. on those lines - though he will, when he returns.

IF it has been stolen, the thief has made a massive blunder, 'cos the bike is so unusual. And it is not as if it can be resprayed and passed off as something else.

It did seem very strange, that he couldn't even give the frame size; I even asked him what height rider it might suit and he couldn't tell me that, either. Could he have picked it up at a car boot ?

neuroportal":2mqx4xcc said:
However, I think a forum for Fantasic Ad finds should start with the Paris in there. As well as the Cinelli currently languishing in the Pawn Shop. Maybe some kind of graphic award to the finder if a deal gets made? :)

:LOL: An amusing idea; I'm not sure why, but I've an inkling, that we haven't seen/heard the last of this bike.

I've seen the Cinelli, and that doesn't seem right, either.

He just emailled me telling me "been sold sorry"...

I'd not heard anything from him previously, despite him claiming that I had made an offer of £400 and using that against the rest of the interested parties. :evil:

Lets see what the Paris registry turns up.

All the best,

knowing the area and the type of people that occupy the area it probably is stolen, hes probably bought it for a tenner of one of the local lads who actually nicked it and tried to sell on and found its worth ALOT more, ferrus messaged me last night about my dealings with him and said hes got a adress and time to go for it, think hes crapping himself after i told him about the area...
well ive offered my services as a 6ft4 23 stone roughty toughty lad to go along with him, will see what happens

raleighrider21":3vikzb97 said:
knowing the area and the type of people that occupy the area it probably is stolen, hes probably bought it for a tenner of one of the local lads who actually nicked it and tried to sell on and found its worth ALOT more,

It'll be interesting, if Alvin is aware of it being stolen - such bikes, usually belong to enthusiasts/collectors.

ferrus messaged me last night about my dealings with him and said hes got a adress and time to go for it,

I'm surprised ferrus has bought it, but only 'cos I thought that he was more into MTBs.

well ive offered my services as a 6ft4 23 stone roughty toughty lad to go along with him, will see what happens

Let us know, if the seller tries to 're-negotiate' a new price. And also let us know, if you have to give anyone a 'helping hand'. :D

Of course, where you might be of use to ferrus, is if he has to go round to ask for his money back.

dont think ill be going for the sale but ive offered, always happy to go along with anyone to go buy a bike around the area or if theyre passing through on the way there and back, ill also be more than happy to back with him to get his money back if needed..
had to help a friend who paid £150 for a carrera subway go get his money back after he found out it was nicked. :) not much more really needs to be said..

did think about becoming a baliff but im training to be a mechanic instead :LOL:

raleighrider21":3fj1ju35 said:
did think about becoming a baliff but im training to be a mechanic instead :LOL:

I'm sure, that you're very handy with a spanner ! :D

raleighrider21":3fj1ju35 said:
ill also be more than happy to back with him to get his money back if needed..

In this instance, if the seller has to go back, there could be complications. The seller will almost certainly want cash only; but if the buyer has to go back, how can he prove that he actually paid £450, for a bike that is clearly advertised for sale at £45 ? What is to stop the seller, saying, "here is your £45 back" ?

Since the seller contrived an auction, I don't see how the selling price can be proven. Sure, he's told me that it has sold for £450, but he's told me (and a few others on this forum) quite a few things and none of them have been true.

id want a receipt written out with all the pricing, details and then both parties signed it.
if he refuses to refund the proper amount.money or goods. do it the good old fashioned way ;) handy with a breaker bar too ;)

Hi guys, blimey this thread has developed since Tuesday - a convoluted journey of hope and disappointment for all involved it seems.
I initially contacted the seller on Tuesday night saying I'd definitely take it and to please not sell to anyone else as I'd been after one of these for years. (I was gonna give him c £250 regardless) After the '£300 new price' I got the 'bloke from Cambridge, £400' spiel and was assured that he'd sell to me for that price. I was given an address but no phone number, just an elaborate excuse despite me letting him know how unhappy I was with this.
I spent the whole of yesterday trying to find out if the bike was stolen, but it seems no one has reported it. Then I tried as best as I could to find out about the address (didn't fancy turning up to find a vacant property); On google Earth there was a 'lettings' sign outside so I rang the number and despite their reluctance to say anything I managed to glean that it was occupied by tenants. I then found an old advert from when the house was last sold in 2006. Looking at the pictures and comparing them to the sellers adverts it was clear that the wall paper and fittings matched - at least the bike was or had been present at the property. On this basis I tentatively decided to go for it suggesting collection early next week. He emailed me back last night saying that if I could pick it up Friday evening I could have it for £380! This was agreed and I arranged to go down with a mate tomorrow.
After reading this thread last night and having a word with raleighrider21 I can't say I was particularly optimistic about the outcome - seems our man's located at the end of a close in a bit of a dodgy area. I wouldn't be entering the house for sure, and would be sporting a large-spanner shaped bulge in the trouser pocket, incase things should go awry (cheers for the offer of backup raleighrider ;)
Anyway, to cut to the chase I got the enevitable email this morning very apologetically saying that the bike had been sold elsewhere for £450..

Mixed feelings really, can't say I'm entirely disappointed as all the messages had said to Walk Away long ago.
As is no doubt the case with most of us caught up in this, the feeble voice of reason is overpowered by a much more powerful, attractive one saying ''Go For It! -it Just Might be fine.. :?
Good luck to whoever got it, 'it just might be..' I really dunno what to think.

ferrus":2aoj3zdb said:
Hi guys, blimey this thread has developed since Tuesday - a convoluted journey of hope and disappointment for all involved it seems.
I initially contacted the seller on Tuesday night saying I'd definitely take it and to please not sell to anyone else as I'd been after one of these for years. (I was gonna give him c £250 regardless) After the '£300 new price' I got the 'bloke from Cambridge, £400' spiel and was assured that he'd sell to me for that price. I was given an address but no phone number, just an elaborate excuse despite me letting him know how unhappy I was with this.
I spent the whole of yesterday trying to find out if the bike was stolen, but it seems no one has reported it. Then I tried as best as I could to find out about the address (didn't fancy turning up to find a vacant property); On google Earth there was a 'lettings' sign outside so I rang the number and despite their reluctance to say anything I managed to glean that it was occupied by tenants. I then found an old advert from when the house was last sold in 2006. Looking at the pictures and comparing them to the sellers adverts it was clear that the wall paper and fittings matched - at least the bike was or had been present at the property. On this basis I tentatively decided to go for it suggesting collection early next week. He emailed me back last night saying that if I could pick it up Friday evening I could have it for £380! This was agreed and I arranged to go down with a mate tomorrow.
After reading this thread last night and having a word with raleighrider21 I can't say I was particularly optimistic about the outcome - seems our man's located at the end of a close in a bit of a dodgy area. I wouldn't be entering the house for sure, and would be sporting a large-spanner shaped bulge in the trouser pocket, incase things should go awry (cheers for the offer of backup raleighrider ;)
Anyway, to cut to the chase I got the enevitable email this morning very apologetically saying that the bike had been sold elsewhere for £450..

Mixed feelings really, can't say I'm entirely disappointed as all the messages had said to Walk Away long ago.
As is no doubt the case with most of us caught up in this, the feeble voice of reason is overpowered by a much more powerful, attractive one saying ''Go For It! -it Just Might be fine.. :?
Good luck to whoever got it, 'it just might be..' I really dunno what to think.

Hey Ferrus, thanks for the update, but I was kind of hoping you'd clinched the deal. Sounds like you suffered the same treatment as the rest of us. I was going to email Dean after his last email received this morning but decided against after hearing you could be the buyer. I was going to point out that he had been well and truly rumbled on a bike forum and that he better hope it isn't nicked or he could have some blue lights arriving very soon.

Personally, I'm convinced its stolen, rare, expensive bike, dodgy area, dodgy dealer. I smell a big rat.

Back