15th September - Glencoe Camp and ride out.

yes, going by the last trip to kinlochleven a light jacket should be fine :)

dscf1268x.jpg

dscf1269t.jpg

dscf1273mr.jpg

(to be fair it was november)

up for the hostel in KLL ?

we could probably start in KLL up the WHW climb to the top of the devils staircase and then back down 1/2 way, across the BW reservior then down the Ciaran path which to be honest are the best parts of the ride anyways and cuts out the boring flat bit from KLL round to glencoe and also the cyle along the side of the road through the glen to the bottom of the devils staircase. This will still be a good 5-6hour ride i think.

we could prob fit tent in car with 3 of us if we travel light, ive also got a wee 2 man tent which would be rather cosy for me an ZZ if you have a bivy tent V ?

I also have a pretty comfy 3-4 man ridge tent. Takes up about a third of the room of your big tent when packed up. Very stable in windy conditions, easy to put up, about 5 feet tall at the ridge, would take 3 plus luggage reasonably comfortably.
Thinking your latest route suggestion seems most sensible !

Alright, so if no objections, we change the ride about and start/finish at KLL? What do the day trippers think?

If so, I'll get the Blackwater hostel booked for the five of us, and those camping do so at Blackwater too? Shame we'll no get a beer in the Clachaig - what's KLL like these days (I don't think I was all that impressed 20-odd years ago)?

A quick google shows a bunch of different options starting from KLL, which is good - don't really have an opinion on the route since I don't know the terrain at all, so happy to go with the flow.

Was at KLL hostel a couple of months back - hmmmm - not really that good IMHO. Warm dry bed for the night but that's about it. Bugger all character and long walk to the Clachaig, over the Aonach Eagach ridge :shock:

I vote camping at Red Squirrel if no other accommodation available, but then I might not be able to attend anyway :D

Dang, I can't do this. Just realized friend of mine coming over at that weekend.

I hope this is a lady friend Radek ;)

Can't believe I'm saying this, but why not just camp at Red Squirrel then and go with original plan?

zigzag":256hgi1k said:
Can't believe I'm saying this, but why not just camp at Red Squirrel then and go with original plan?

exactly my thoughts ZZ, but I'm not likely to be staying so didn't say.

I've stayed in the glencoe hostel before (~12yrs ago), memories were a boggin kitchen, a shower I wasn't happy showering in and mattress with a crinkly pvc cover.. looks a bit revamped on the site, but camping every time, and it's closer to the pub (more importantly)

Back