Shed some light on my frame? A Crown Comet, made in England

Re: Shed some light on my frame? A Crown Comet, made in Engl

Wow, yes, those lugs are identical! Surely there must be some sort of connection there.

I'm not bothered if there can be no conclusive ID, I am already happy that it's a lot better quality than it could have been. Just curious really :) Thanks all for your help so far.

Here is a Crown that i owned, id say definatley linked with Carlton/Raleigh

P1040255.jpg

P1040265.jpg

P1040260.jpg

P1040272.jpg

P1040271.jpg

P1040268.jpg

P1040266.jpg

P1040275.jpg

negaultra7":2w3ku0f4 said:

God that's a nice shed :)

Nice bike too, its seems Crown Cycles must have sunk without trace.

My friend has a Crown Comet which she bought new in the late seventies or early 80's. It was bought as a Crown Comet not redecaled. For her info I looked through my old magazines and found the following info;

I looked through my old cycling mags and found, in the buyers guide of Cyclists Monthly, 3 listing's for your bike. Its listed in the August 1982, December 1982 and April 1983 editions. There is not much detail but here is what I have;

Firstly August, Crown lists five models. The Tourist is a 3 speed at £102, the Sports 5 and 10 are 5 or 10 speed machines selling for £98 and £105 respectively, next comes yours and the top of the range is the Cavalier at £158 pounds. Yours is listed at £131 with frame sizes from 211/2 to 241/2. Its listed as having a 531 frame, cotterless cranks, 10 gears, caliper brakes and thats it. In the December issue the same information is presented. In the April 1983 issue more information is presented. The Tourist model has been deleted. Only a 10 speed Sports model is listed at £121. The top of the range model remains the Cavalier in both ladies and mens versions and costs £192 and £182 respectively. The Comet is listed at £151 with Suntour 10 speed gearing, Weinmann brakes, Michelin tyres and a 531 frame. A Star model was also listed without the 531 frame but otherwise same spec for £147. Its listed as a ladies version.

Interesting info on the Crown Bikes, I worked in a bike shop in the mid to late 70's and never came across them so likely after my time.

The OP's bike is much earlier and likely a 60's Carlton Catalina or similar. The forks looks slightly odd and wonder if they are a later addition, I wonder if the numbers and dropouts match the frame......

In the 60's the Carlton Numbering went a bit pants and were meant to start with a letter but later they were just numbers.

Class :D

Shaun

Thread resurrection: The Carlton Capella lugs were sold off after Carltons ceased to be Carltons. Thus many small builders would have bought up a stock of them and thus their bikes would have looked similar, and I suspect that's the story behind Crown.

Lovely lugs. I remember seeing fully chromed Carltons which looked spectacular. Don;t know if that was a factory thing or a special order.

Back