Show us your man sized wheels.

FST4RD

Senior Retro Guru
Show us your man sized wheels! None of these light weight wheels :LOL:

This is the wheelset I just finished off, I guess they're retro as well. They're going to go on my Giant ATX1.
Front wheel: NOS Sun Mammoth rim, Hope Big Un hub, NOS 3" Gazzaloddi, double butted spokes, motorbike tube - Weight without front axle and rotor, a pinch over 3kg :shock:
Rear wheel: NOS Sun Mammoth rim, Hope Big Un hub, 2.6" Gazzaloddi, double butted spokes, standard tube - Weight without rotor and cassette just over 2.6kg :shock:
Still yet to get the motorbike tube for the rear. Once I get the motorbike tube, the rotors and cassette, it should push the wheelset over 6kg :LOL:

Bombproof!!!!

Attachments

• Wheels1.jpg
    Wheels1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 827
  • Wheels2.jpg
    Wheels2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 827
FST4RD":1a8xw63q said:
Bombproof!!!!

Not Necessarily...
Mate a few years back pringled a Mammoth with 3" Gazzaloddi's.... on his BMW Mini Link... addmittedly he was renkowned for breaking everything he touched

G

unkleGsif":xcvoysdk said:
FST4RD":xcvoysdk said:
Bombproof!!!!

Not Necessarily...
Mate a few years back pringled a Mammoth with 3" Gazzaloddi's.... on his BMW Mini Link... addmittedly he was renkowned for breaking everything he touched

G

I used to race with mammoths back in the day when they came out. I abused them to no end, if I flatted during a run in wouldn't stop. Barely put them out. I was running 13 straight gauge tandem spokes lol

Andy R":2imjd12y said:
Run them tubeless - you'd save a lot of weight compared to using two motorcycle tubes.

Weight isn't an issue for me, I'm 6 foot+ and the wrong side of 130kg (not fat, just built like a brick toilet house).

Grotefoto-HYPDPJN8.jpg

A project from some years ago... Not with me anymore....

Funny, I used mammoths when they were new, found they flat spotted easily, the sidewalls were extremely soft and they split at the join with little provocation. Rhynos were every bit as strong and fraction of the weight, the only advantage they had was width until Rhynolites came out.

IMAG0002m.jpg

The old 'Dale F6 on Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35s. Perfect for flattening kerbs, cars and buildings.

I once rode it from Gloucestershire to Southend-on-Sea on a rainy day. The resulting tyre track is now known as the Thames.

Back