Early Muddyfox Lovers Anonynmous

Thanks for the welcome MADB. this thread is inspirational, there are some truly awesome MFs here & unfortunately, most of them (yours included) make my machine seem almost pedestrian. I'm just going to pop over to your thread and have another look at your bike now
Cheers

There are some nippier bikes for sure but that looks in great nick, is REALLY old (more interesting) and has great branded accessories. As very worthy addition imho.

Hi Japee,
Thanks for comments. You could be right about the age as the chap that sold it to me reckoned he bought it in 87. But when I cleaned it up, the number stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket read IH86-08-128970 so I was guessing it was earlier
Cheers
John

lebuski":3qi583wx said:
Hi Japee,
Thanks for comments. You could be right about the age as the chap that sold it to me reckoned he bought it in 87. But when I cleaned it up, the number stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket read IH86-08-128970 so I was guessing it was earlier
Cheers
John

Lebuski - lovely bike and nice to see it being used so well :cool:

My Courier has an "H8 03" serial which I've always taken as march '88 though I'm not yet sure that all Japanese Couriers came from the same factory.

DrCarlos on here may be along later with more useful info. IIRC the 87 model year had indexed thumbies and the '86 just friction. The bars changed from riser to straight sometime that year too.

cheers
And

Thanks for the info Archemist.
Mine has riser bars with friction shifters, so maybe 86 is right
Cheers

In 1989 I travelled from Dublin to London to buy a Muddy Fox, I bought a Courier Comp from Cyclelogical (still have the receipt somewhere), all my mates were envious as there was not much choice available from the bike shops in Dublin at that time.

2 years later it was nicked.

Fast forward to last Saturday when I collected this....
IMAG0752r.jpg

Now living in Brighton so didn't have to travel as far this time around!

It's the same spec as my 1989 purchase and in completely original condition. I stuck some Tioga tyres on it as the Fastrax originals were past it, then went straight out for a blast... brought back memories!

It needs some new cables and a full strip down and service, another project to look forward to.

Looks like a great find Technozen. Hope you have happy wanderings down memory lane. I'm finding stripping my bike therapeutic (have done it a couple of times now), and a great way to learn bike maintenance. I think I'm getting brave enough to try stripping the head set and bottom bracket next

technozen":cg845e26 said:
Now living in Brighton so didn't have to travel as far this time around!

Another Fox fan in Brighton! You might see me around on my 89 seeker. My wife's Irish to boot.

Technozen - I had the exact bike stolen from me. Got the fluro 90 model from my insurance.
I loved the crackle paint job.

Yours looks like a minter

Latest posts

Back