1996 Orange P7 Nickel

Re: 1996/97 Orange P7 Nickel **UPDATED 13/8/13 PAGE 4**

Love the work that's gone into this one. Very classy looking Orange, particularly with the gloss black F7s on.

Re: 1996/97 Orange P7 Nickel

groovyblueshed":1pdtoppp said:
Love the work that's gone into this one. Very classy looking Orange, particularly with the gloss black F7s on.

Cheers :D Pity the F7's are gone then....... :oops: ;)

Virtually finished again, waiting on delivery of new saddle and grips, though, so 99% finished now.......

q42q.jpg

by7n.jpg

hqnb.jpg

wlwk.jpg

oehg.jpg

Re: 1996/97 Orange P7 Nickel **FINISHED (AGAIN!) 21/8/13 p4*

The F7s were very classy, but I stand corrected – those Pace forks take it to another level, they look the business!
Like the SpIashbacks – I'm hoping to find a pair myself soon.

Hi Matty-

This is a great thread. Inspirational in fact!
I have a '96 P7 which I converted to single speed and use for commuting.
It is looking very tired so I was thinking about the options ie re-plating or powder coating. - but a powder coated P7 just isn't a P7 anymore to me.

I now discover the bacofoil trick!

-It seems to work wonders - but did you use any other methods in the rusty bits ? mine is quite rusty in the bottom bracket area. I cant imagine bacofoil will do much here but your frame seems to be completely clear of rust after the rub-down.
Possibly I may end up (reluctantly) using brush-on silver hammerite in the small areas affected, as a complete re-plating would be out of budget.

- but your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Richard

What saddle did you get in the end? I quite like a coloured saddle myself, but it is so hard to get just the right shade.

Great build BTW, and I like the way it's evolving through different phases in its (your?) life. I have recently set my heart on a mid to late '90s steel Orange for my next restoration :D, but I have to sell my Palisades Trail first :(.

Regards

orangep7guy":1u99xpkv said:
Hi Matty-

This is a great thread. Inspirational in fact!
I have a '96 P7 which I converted to single speed and use for commuting.
It is looking very tired so I was thinking about the options ie re-plating or powder coating. - but a powder coated P7 just isn't a P7 anymore to me.

I now discover the bacofoil trick!

-It seems to work wonders - but did you use any other methods in the rusty bits ? mine is quite rusty in the bottom bracket area. I cant imagine bacofoil will do much here but your frame seems to be completely clear of rust after the rub-down.
Possibly I may end up (reluctantly) using brush-on silver hammerite in the small areas affected, as a complete re-plating would be out of budget.

- but your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Richard

Hi Rich, I think I must have touched lucky with my frame as after removing all the lacquer and rust spots I just polished it up and had it re-lacquered whereas some have had issues with the nickel playing being brittle. Mine's by no means perfect, a few rust spots here and there underneath the lacquer etc.

A few use nitromors as well, seems to do the job by all accounts. There's lots of threads on here about polishing nickel frames, I did it a long winded way but happy enough in the end!

Cheers :D

Exeter Man":1wvdubts said:
What saddle did you get in the end? I quite like a coloured saddle myself, but it is so hard to get just the right shade.

Great build BTW, and I like the way it's evolving through different phases in its (your?) life. I have recently set my heart on a mid to late '90s steel Orange for my next restoration :D, but I have to sell my Palisades Trail first :(.

Regards

Charge spoon with red logo in the end, however I gave the Flite a real going over and it looks much better now, I may even stick with it :facepalm:

Rides really well now, very fast and it took me a while to get used to the risers, feels like riding a motorbike at times! Bombproof frames that are easy to pick up, so look forward to your build matey ;)

no probs - just starting a 97 P7 re-nickel rebuild (the the c16r will have to wait in the shed!) - If it turns out anywhere as clean as your one I'll be happy as a pig in mud :D

Back