fsr info needed please

Chute55uk

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
hey all, got this offered to me, withought going through all the catalogues can someone tell me which model (yes i know its an fsr) and year it harks from? I'm thinking 94? due to the lx
muchos gracias

Attachments

• IMG_0156 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0156 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 439
If you buy it ,get a betd link for the rear , increases the travel and stops the frame breaking

Bought my wife the exact bike new back in 1998 - it was the bottom-line of the 5 models & sold for $999. The only non-original parts I can see in the picture are the handlebar (came with a silver flat Ritchey), pedals (came with Ritchey clipless), shifters (came with Gripshift), and the grips look different. I ended up getting an MRP roller bearing kit for all the pivots back-in-the-day and it made a huge difference in the stiction of the pivots. Since it's nearly impossible to source that or a BETD link nowadays, I would definitely recommend tearing down, greasing, & re-building the pivots. My wife still has it to this day (with all the hand-me-down upgrades, of course) and couldn't be happier. It's a great bike & a steal at $130 in my opinion :D

I too have taken the plunge with a 1997/98 FSR Extreme. Was an impulse purchase and really only meant to be a bit of fun, I've always liked them but never felt the urge to take the plunge, this came along for a very good price and now i am raiding my spares in my Man Cave to build it up, It's a Mish Mash at the moment, although the Triple Clamp Forks were a must and i think look the dog's danglies. As you can see it will be a bright build :cool: but like i said, its all a bit of fun.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374562983_188285.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374562983_188285.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 353
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374562956_504844.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374562956_504844.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 353
that's really nice, interesting your seat stay seems to be gloss black, mine is satin black, is that just the way the came then?
still struggling to stop this topping out of the forks, I have taken the elastomers out and they are pink and seem in very good shape, the springs and related bits are present, I have wound the preloads to the max but they don't seem to have any effect regarding topping out. ( i thought compreesing them would take up any slack)
regarding stripping the linkages, the pivots are all tight and make no noise at all so I am reluctant to start disturbing them but I guess common sense says new grease is better than old grease.
the betd linkage is in stock at betd but its 103 quid :shock: I think i will give it a miss as im into betd for nearly 200 quid already on the lts. the frame is intact, no signs of wear/cracks or much use come to that so I dont think i will be stressing it anytime soon.

Chute55uk":1h5m1y73 said:
that's really nice, interesting your seat stay seems to be gloss black, mine is satin black, is that just the way the came then?
still struggling to stop this topping out of the forks, I have taken the elastomers out and they are pink and seem in very good shape, the springs and related bits are present, I have wound the preloads to the max but they don't seem to have any effect regarding topping out. ( i thought compreesing them would take up any slack)
regarding stripping the linkages, the pivots are all tight and make no noise at all so I am reluctant to start disturbing them but I guess common sense says new grease is better than old grease.
the betd linkage is in stock at betd but its 103 quid :shock: I think i will give it a miss as im into betd for nearly 200 quid already on the lts. the frame is intact, no signs of wear/cracks or much use come to that so I dont think i will be stressing it anytime soon.

Hi mate, the rear stay is a Satin black finish, just looks glossy on the pics. Cant shed any light on your fork problem? the preload should have some effect on it, mine does, got it set up with right amount of sag so hopefully when i fully test it should ride nice. I'm toying with a linkage from BETD, but then with what i've paid for it i'm struggling to justify it. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it :)

Back