Estimated Value

Stumpie

Retro Newbie
I came across this bike a few days ago and i just wondered if anyone could give me any idea who much it is worth??

its a Swinnerton Cycles hand made steel frame not reynolds but late 70's to early 80's i think

Components what i can tel are:

Campagnolo Nouvo Record Rear Mech
Campagnolo downtube shifters
Campagnolo pedels
Mavic tubeless Rims I am assuming Campagnolo hubs as it has Campagnolo Skewers
Mafac Brakes and levers

I am not sure about anything else, if anyone has any idea of how much it is worth or any other info your advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 276
Looking at the cable routing and lack of gear lever bosses I would definitely say early 70's. It looks to be a very nice machine - but the value is debatable depending on how much you want it! I'm very loathe to give valuations. Roy had many of his frames built by Mercian but looking at the wrap-over seat cluster I would hazard a guess and say it was built by local builder Paul Washington in a similar design to Brian Rourke frames. The lack of 531 or similar decals and the excellent paint finish suggests a respray. I'm sure it's bound to be 531 tubing.

BTW, the tyres are 'tubular' not 'tubeless'. They do have an inner tube - and they need pumping up!

FWIW, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it!

Not that I need any more bikes...............................

I had a Paul Washington built Brian Rourke, as Old Ned says the warp around seat stays are typical and almost certainly 531.

Value really depends on where it is being sold. If it was on Ebay I would expect it to make £350+

If you have "27.2" marked on the back of the seat pillar then it is surely butted 531. A frame of that undoubted quality would surely be quality tubing.
I find the 49D with TA adaptor unusual as it's really from a few years earlier, although TA rings were better than Campagnolo in several respects.

What happened to Retrobike.........it's just lost a page of my typing on 70's Swinnertons......... :)

Shaun

PS worth 300 of anybody'd money including mine

Back