Camper Van Beethovering

We've got a high-top T4 camper, which is ace, but starting to feel a bit small. Been looking at Movanos/Transits/etc with a view to a DIY conversion. Are the Ivecos that much bigger? An actual 6ft across would be great -- can you still get that with insulation/lining? Not sure I'd actually want a van quite that long, though. Kind of liking the Transit Jumbo at the moment.

Will be watching with interest :)

Zetec, notice the sleeping bag comes pre-installed!

I am thinking hard right now if I really want to take this on or spend a chunk on something a little less tank like. I converted an LDV Convoy that had similar dimensions, makes a great camper if you don't mind the agricultural handling and performance.

My long term preference is for a Merc 814 with the indestructible engine, but I will be waiting for the right one and meanwhile could have this on the road in a couple of months.

Mike, if I convert this one the insulation will only be partial, we are usually doing activities and wearing outdoor gear, we don't really need a home like environment. Foil back insulation is low profile enough to leave most of the width and deals with the condensation aspect, besides the fibreglass roof will lose most of the heat anyway! I sleep fine in a 'near' six foot width when it is wide enough. Being able to put bunks/beds from side to side really frees up a layout.

4.5M sounds big but once you add in a toilet/shower and such you use it up quick. I need enough space to store bikes/kayaks and such internally as well. Hence thinking about an 814 long term. I never feel happy laying up and leaving sea kayaks on the roof to be nicked easily.

I had a huge box on the back of a Eurocargo not long ago and planned it out as a camper with full size bath, Rayburn and all sorts. That is my idea of comfort.

I have a Romahome. The demountable ones are great, because when the van itself is clapped out you still have an extremely good quality campervan pod that can be fitted to another van!

Slooooooow though.

After flippin years of travelling by motorcycle and making an art form of minimal camping we have, today, only gone and bought ourselves a 2009 high top Renault Trafic. :LOL: :LOL:
It's going to be a bit basic for a while (airbed, sleeping bags etc) but we want to get it properly converted. Nothing fancy, just something practical that we don't have to worry about getting a bit of mud in with the mountain bikes.
Oh bliss - no more aching back from sleeping on cold ground; a proper cup of tea sat on a proper seat; having a wee in the middle of the night without falling in the nettles.
Sorry, that last bit might have been a bit too much info :facepalm:

I am 45 Salsa and have appreciated the virtues of campers since I was in my early twenties.

I love camping in tents and even in a waterproof bag, but campers make nights away from home a no brainer.

Everything is in waiting to go with a dedicated camper. Looking into solar for trickling the batteries and fridge too.

I don't think this one will be coming home with me, I have seen Mercs for low money lately, and come winter I should be able to pic up something even cheaper.

It's certainly a damn sight cheaper to buy a van and get it converted than to buy one already done. Have you seen the prices - especially VWs. Bloody hell, half of 'em don't have a loo and yet still cost over £30k! :shock:
That's a LOT of shoes and chocolate and of course, bits for bikes :D

I travelled around quite a lot of Australia in a big Iveco camper - it had a 4.5m wheelbase if memory serves. It had two bunks, a toilet/shower, kitchen and a fold out double bed at the back, which I could only sleep in diagonally...

The only problem was the windscreen wipers didn't work which I realised in a tropical downpour in Queensland, I checked the fuses and realised the fuse had been removed, which I found out after driving very slowly to a garage and buying a new one. The new fuse did the trick, unfortunately I found out why the fuse had been removed when after about 200yds down the road, the driver's side wiper flew off! In what was to become one of my proudest man moments of all time, I fixed the wiper with the spring of a clothes peg, and all was well with world...

Back