Axel length's for M95X bottom bracket's??

Canuck

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
OK, so we all know that this system was flawed from the start (as were all the other octalink, isis etc.) but after avoiding M95X crankset's for sooo many year's I've succumbed to their look (they are sweet looking crank's after all!) and picked up a set.
My question is more according to axel length's of the bottom bracket's. From what I understand they came in 2 different length's, 112mm & 116mm (off the top of my head). Without having to build up the entire drive train is there a way to tell which length axel you need? It seem's to me that 4mm difference (2mm either side) doesn't seem like a whole heck of a difference so does it matter which length you use? The BB shell of the frame it'll sit in is 68mm but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?
I ask 'cause I've got the crankset with the opportunity to buy the BB but I'm no where near ready to build the bike they'll be fitted to. The axel length of the BB for offer is 116mm. They aren't cheap so it'd be good to know whether I can use it before hand
Thank's in advance! :D

Axle length is more to do with front mech functionality than frame clearance. I.e. 34.9 seatube and short BB means the mech can't move inbound enough. If your cranks are passing a known wide frame or swingarm, Proflex, Marin etc then it'd be wise to get a longer BB.

gtRTSdh":3baqwhc7 said:
Axle length is more to do with front mech functionality than frame clearance. I.e. 34.9 seatube and short BB means the mech can't move inbound enough. If your cranks are passing a known wide frame or swingarm, Proflex, Marin etc then it'd be wise to get a longer BB.

That make's sense in a way, but I thought it had more to do with getting the perfect chainline ie.47.5 - 50mm. Get the perfect chainline and everything should fall into place regardless, especially if the rest of the drivetrain is also from the same group.

I'll be using the M95X chainset/bottom bracket on a skinny rigid steel frame so what your saying is I'm more than likely going to need the shorter axel?

...and thank's for the link :D I've read that recently (very informative, well done! :D ) but felt it didn't quite answer my question..

WD Pro":1txe2qo6 said:
112.5mm = 47.5mm
116mm = 50mm

I think ... :D

WD :D

That's what I was thinking as well :? I 'spose optimum chainline would be around 48.5 - 49mm and with the limit in axel length's for this particular model that is unachievable so I'd be able to basically get away with either one...??? Really that easy??...can't be, it's never that easy! :LOL:

They are a sort of cup and cone system with 2x roller bearing races and 2x ball bearing races each side. I think but not sure that they fit 68 & 73mm frames due to the lock ring.

Rampage, they came in both styles.. Eventually. The M952 was cartridge.
There are many threads on them themselves. Yes dual width, just spacers as per, modern setups.
116 will not stop you riding, though 112 will probably be better.

Someone said recently that the 116 was made for the downhillers (it was a ring option on the cranks) who needed the wider platform. How true that is I don't know, but they will have used chunkier frames I would have thought.'

I just see it as the 50mm chainline option. Used a lot in the 9sp, universal front mech band era.

Rampage":27m64xpr said:
They are a sort of cup and cone system with 2x roller bearing races and 2x ball bearing races each side. I think but not sure that they fit 68 & 73mm frames due to the lock ring.
They should fit both, i've got one of the original needle roller/cup and cone ones and its been fitted to both a 68mm shell (what i originally fitted it to) and a 73mm shell (on the frame that followed it)

Canuck":27m64xpr said:
OK, so we all know that this system was flawed from the start
Really? My original XTR and my original DA adjustable bottom brackets are still perfectly serviceable. The XTR only got retired when i stopped racing and replaced my team bike (about 3 years ago) and had been ridden/raced for going on 15 years! The D-A is still in my cross bike, and of similar vintage, having done several years in my race bikes, then 3 years on my wifes race bike, went back on the crosser 2 or 3 years ago.........
It made a lovely change to the various square tapers i was using before, which lasted, at most, 18 months.

Back