Late 80's bike shop - Headrow, leeds??

Are you thinking of Jussexy? It was under leeds station in one of the arches on King street just off the headrow. It was early/mid nineties and full of fancy boutique stuff that your average yorkshire man could not afford, it was a lovely shop but arguably doomed because of its limited market and grim location.

Okay heres random :D
Jussexy -when they were at crossgates
cyclemart
drakes cycles original location harehills lane
bob jackson in harehills (before drakes moved in)
two wheels good - carr lane
freewheel and then freewheel headingley
recycled engineering headingley
Watson cairns when they sold motorbikes downstairs and bikes up
stiff in the original back street headingley
maclam cycles
the yha shop on briggate sold bikes downstairs for a bit
and there was some bikes in a shop bottom of the arcades might have been blacks
oh and centre sport had diamond backs when it was in the merrion centre and then tushinghams when it was on the corner of merrion street.

Yeh, forgot Bernard Macklam had a couple of shops out Crossgates way. He built me a time trial frame. When he packed up he went as a taxi driver.

Center sport was a funny place, I had been in there loads of times without noticing there was a downstairs part full of bike bits. I was dead pleased when I strolled in for a pair of walking boots and left with a white industries bottom bracket. My feet were not so happy. I recall a shop just past the university on the corner of hyde park which mostly sold Trek stuff, cant remember its name though.
I remember gawking at a team marin in the window at two wheels good/freewheel, it had browning forks and suntour electronic front shifting (beast?). I couldn't believe my eyes, i've never seen another since.
I always preferred two wheels good when it was in that little place round the corner,after the move it felt like I had stepped inside one of those glossy freewheel catalogues every time I walked in.

futuristicoldman":yojqk7yt said:
Center sport was a funny place, I had been in there loads of times without noticing there was a downstairs part full of bike bits. I was dead pleased when I strolled in for a pair of walking boots and left with a white industries bottom bracket. My feet were not so happy. I recall a shop just past the university on the corner of hyde park which mostly sold Trek stuff, cant remember its name though.
I remember gawking at a team marin in the window at two wheels good/freewheel, it had browning forks and suntour electronic front shifting (beast?). I couldn't believe my eyes, i've never seen another since.
I always preferred two wheels good when it was in that little place round the corner,after the move it felt like I had stepped inside one of those glossy freewheel catalogues every time I walked in.

Yep that little corridor shop in the row past the hyde park pub - that's the one I used mostly (c.87<) and felt just the same about freewheel / two wheels bad until I asked them something and then the one guy called the other guy, called the other guy....

:LOL: takes yer back...

Archemist":9izd7010 said:
futuristicoldman":9izd7010 said:

Yep that little corridor shop in the row past the hyde park pub - that's the one I used mostly (c.87<) and felt just the same about freewheel / two wheels bad until I asked them something and then the one guy called the other guy, called the other guy....

That's the one I mentioned. I'm sure it was the guy's name. I may be seeing Mel Bentley this evening and I'll ask him.

Old Ned":3lcsgpw3 said:
Archemist":3lcsgpw3 said:
futuristicoldman":3lcsgpw3 said:

That's the one I mentioned. I'm sure it was the guy's name. I may be seeing Mel Bentley this evening and I'll ask him.
Yep, it was Dave's Cycles like what I said.

Memory like an elephant (and also the wrinkles and big ears).

Stif Performance Mountain Bikes
Has it used to be called , the original shop was down the cobbled road behind the Skyrack before they moved onto the main road . They were actually a windsurfing shop but down stairs was wall to wall With Orange mountain bikes.
It was owned by a guy called Paul then in his 50s and another top bloke worked there called Tim ( round glasses )

Back then I was a spotty 18 year old kid who had saved up £800 for my first proper mountain bike .I bought a Orange Prestige with full XT group set , panracer smoke rubber. Paul later told me it was the first Prestige XT he had sold . The bike was flawless I raced it for 3 seasons Downhill , trail and XC has it was back them I loved that bike

Back