Another flat tyre! presta valve advice sought.

Cheap tube combined with tyre creep probably - mark the tyre and rim with a marker pen and, if it happens again, see if the tyre has moved on the rim.
If it has, then either use more pressure or fit a different tyre. Use talc inside the tyre too but not on the beads, of course.

wookiee":12s4mrp0 said:
Had this before myself are the tyres new or old? I found my older tyres were moving on the rim and dragging the tube with it and tearing it on the valve hole in the rim....also the other things mentioned talcing, lock ring to tight, and low pressure....

Doug

I had the same...bought two used tyres, after 500 meters front flat, so decided to lean backwards and drive slowly on. 200 meters later rear flat :facepalm: . Both on the same place, where the valve is attached to the tube.

I contacted the former owner of the tyres and he told me he have had the same problem but didn't realize it could be the tyres.

jonnyboy666":2if1road said:
potential dumb question but i just thought i'd check, you're using a presta valve, is the rim drilled for schrader?.

This is where my money is going..... ;)

G

Does it look like the holes are from the valve moving back and forth or from some abrasion or sharp edges? If it from scratches find the edges and file em down.

If it looks like the valve is moving side to side causing the tear then make sure the rim tape is not slipping. If it's the tire that's slipping perhaps add a bit of rubber cement or rtv on a few points in the rim to keep the tires in place.

I have never experienced issues with running presta in schraeder rims but the tube shouldn't be moving enough to distress the valve if everything is right.

tigern":1ntb2gjp said:
wookiee":1ntb2gjp said:
Had this before myself are the tyres new or old? I found my older tyres were moving on the rim and dragging the tube with it and tearing it on the valve hole in the rim....also the other things mentioned talcing, lock ring to tight, and low pressure....

Doug

I had the same...bought two used tyres, after 500 meters front flat, so decided to lean backwards and drive slowly on. 200 meters later rear flat :facepalm: . Both on the same place, where the valve is attached to the tube.

I contacted the former owner of the tyres and he told me he have had the same problem but didn't realize it could be the tyres.

x3 Don't tighten the valve down to the rim and see if the valve angle changes when ridden.

If the rim is drilled for schraeder valves and you are using presta valves, a fix that has worked well for me over the last decade or so is to cut out the section of an old destroyed tube from around the valve (ie where the tube has failed) and put this section of rubber over the valve on the new tube before installing it. This gives a decent amount of protection to the valve/tube join on the new tube for little, or zero, expense.

jonnyboy666":305ro57k said:
potential dumb question but i just thought i'd check, you're using a presta valve, is the rim drilled for schrader?

assuming it is drilled for only presta, you could try winding the nut to the base of the valve then fitting the tube and putting another nut on top once the tube is inflated.

Yes it's a rim that's drilled only for Presta but it's a really narrow rim (Sun M14a) with an internal measurement of about 12mm which won't leave me a great deal of space for the tyre beads with the nut inside the rim.

feetabix":305ro57k said:
Make sure there is no sideways pressure on the valve caused by pulling tyre around the rim as you mount the last bead too!......

When fitting the tyre i usually push the valve as far in as i dare to get the beads on the rim first as it's quite narrow then pull the valve down a little... gently i might add so it's seated ok.

wookiee":305ro57k said:

Doug

They are quite old.. I bought the tyre in question in the mid 90's but it doesn't seem to move on the rim mate. ;) As with my OCD the valves are lined up with the script on the tyres :facepalm: :cool:

Woz":305ro57k said:
:idea:

Simply crap inner tubes. Cheap is often not cheerful; Schwalbe or Conti are dependable.

You could be right there bud and have been looking at the Conti lights on eBay and may try them but they're costly and want to make sure i resolve this first. A tenner a pop.. quite literally.

al-onestare":305ro57k said:
Stupid question, but have you got rim tape and is it correctly applied / not peeling off?

It's certainly not peeling off but there is slight movement.. Going to remedy this now with a bit of insulation tape.

grahame":305ro57k said:
If the rim is drilled for schraeder valves and you are using presta valves, a fix that has worked well for me over the last decade or so is to cut out the section of an old destroyed tube from around the valve (ie where the tube has failed) and put this section of rubber over the valve on the new tube before installing it. This gives a decent amount of protection to the valve/tube join on the new tube for little, or zero, expense.

Liking this idea Graheme.. Liking it alot.

"which won't leave me a great deal of space for the tyre beads with the nut inside the rim" - Nut on the inside ?

Your valve is a bit p1ssed in that pic ?

I dont know if these issues alone will make a differance but every little helps :D

Other than that, all your parts look OK so I would say it's either faulty set up or crap tubes ?

WD :D

Back