Anybody riding/dealing with sciatica?

Cycling is a great way to get around when you are suffering, I had a disc injury at 13 that caused me to have severe sciatica to the point I was getting morphine injections.

The only treatment that relieved my symptoms was traction, and then only for a limited time after a session.

I noticed that after a session kayaking I experienced the same relief, so I kayaked every day practically for the next few years, and was totally symptom free within around six months of that period. Whenever I get an inkling of sciatica now it is a case of getting the kayaking in.

Worked its magic for over thirty years, and cycling is still the best way to get around where there is no water.

When MTBing I have always found adopting an active position is best to avoid exacerbating the situation, modern geometry tends to have you sit up and beg more, which is great for letting long forks soak up terrain but awful for maintaining an active back.

Spending as much time out of the saddle as possible works for me.

Get a good physio. I had several sessions and he manipulated the nerve into a fractionally different position. Instead of periods of indescribable agony I now get the occasional mild twinge.

Yep me, one piece of advice....

Chiropractor
Chiropractor
Chiropractor

It's the only thing that has lasting effect for me and I HIGHLY recommend it :D ......oh and high strength 75 or 100mg Voltaren :D

I'd be interested in any bike setup tips for this too. The wife regularly sees a physio and has avoided cycling to date but is coming round to the idea of a bike.

I'd been thinking of something up with a fairly upright set up (short top tube, short stem, risers etc), but any other ideas appreciated.

Although every case is different in regards to Sciatica....I found that stretching the hamstrings and a good IT band stretch work.

I have found that road bikes trigger bouts of back pain,as does any bike with a long low stretched out position where the saddle is raised and the handlebars dropped.

Both my retrobikes have been adapted with this in mind.BITD I bought 17" Orange Clockwork and Prestige,however this time round I have bought a 19" Clockwork,which is a bit higher at the front.My Cannondale M2000 is a medium but has a shorter riser stem off a hybrid model.Both bikes have riser bars with back swept ends.

For my bikes I aim for handlebars and seat heights to be roughly equal,and try to achieve what I call a "gentlemans" upright riding position with a straight back.Having said this everybody's back is different and what works for one person won't for work for everyone.

Heartily endorse the advice to find a good chiropractor.

I generally have a desk-bound job, which is no god for your back anyway. I've had back problems on and off for about 10 yrs. This has involved being stuck in the shower unable to move, similarly during a bouts of digging at the allotment and when driving long distances – having a spasm down the fast lane is slightly disconcerting.

Things came to head a few years back with a chronic chest infection. I was on the loo at the time, hacking away with a cough then I suddenly sneezed and that was it – I just couldn't move. Ended up being off for 2-3 weeks diagnosed with sciatica after seeing the GP. I had to be careful for quite some weeks after that. I eventually got round to fixing up the old bike a month or two on and then decided to try some short rides. After gradually building up the rides, my back just kept improving. I decided to start commuting by bike. For me, adopting a longer lower riding position with 150mm zero degree stem helped.

Three years on, after I rarely have any twinges. There's something about the way you move and flex when cycling that for me has been the best form of physio and remedy. I feel that I if keep moving and flexing regularly in some way during the day, it prevents the problem from returning. At work, I actively fidget, making sure that I regularly get up and walk about.

I saw the title for this thread, and I thought that "sciatica" was someone's username here :oops:

(backs away cautiously to door, fumbles for coat, turns and runs)

Yes :oops:

Did my back in in March and am still nursing sciatica , I have never had a back problem before and guess its here to stay , riding the bike seems to be ok , it's standing up for long amounts of time on uneven surfaces that seems to do make my left leg twinge with sciatica mostly. It's orrible :twisted:

Back